MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Hundreds of Miami-Dade county employees received pink slips Friday. The police department lost 131 positions; 150 corrections positions will be eliminated along with 282 government supervisor positions.

Police say it was a somber day in the department.

You have senior officers that are crying.  You have junior officers that are crying and it’s hard to fight back the tears when you’re watching someone sit there cry next to you that you know that person would give their life for you” said Detective Larry Hendricks who learned Friday he’ll lose his job in three weeks.

Officer Sylvia Nadel also received a layoff notice. She says she’s dreamed of becoming a police officer her whole life.

“A lot of people come here with the American dream to become rich.  Well my American dream was to become a police officer. I never imagined that once I accomplished that four years later I was going to be told i don’t have a job anymore,” said Nadel.

It’s not the first time she feared her career would end. In 2010 she says a suspect broke her wrist during an arrest.  Now this mother of two doesn’t know how she will support her growing family.

“The first thing that came to my mind is ‘hold on i’m pregnant I can’t do this it’s affecting my child’,” she explained.

Mayor Carlos Gimenez told officers there would be layoffs after commission voted not to require officers to pay an additional five percent of their paychecks for health insurance. Officers already made numerous concessions including giving up holiday pay and uniform allowances.

“I would rather not do this,” said the Mayor, “this was caused by the commission ‘s inaction in not imposing this five percent health care contribution which totals 18 million dollars and i have to do my duty.”

Miami Police Department Director James Loftus issued a statement Friday afternoon addressing the layoffs.

“In a Department with a history of dark and difficult days, this one is unique. Never before have so many of our finest left us under these circumstances,” the statement read. “As always, we will find a way to persevere because of our responsibility as the Thin Blue Line.

“I give you my word that I will shift resources to ensure officer safety while honoring our commitment to the Department’s core function.”

Loftus also offered his sympathy to those who were affected by the cuts.

“To everyone impacted by this layoff, my heart goes out to you. My family and I will keep you in our prayers. To everyone in the Department, please continue to fight to keep your focus. Your safety, the safety of your coworkers, and the well-being of our community demands your vigilance and commitment.”

Officers say we will all pay the price for the layoffs.

“Your protection your safety could be in danger as you travel the streets because you put less cops on the street, you’re going to have more crime,” said Detective Hendricks who works with the gang unit. He added, “we’re the ones that are suppressing the crime we’re the ones who are trying to block it from getting out to the streets.”

The mayor vetoed commissions’ decision not to impose a pay increase.  Commission will revisit the issue January 24th, but it’s not clear what impact that will have on the impending layoffs.

Comments (10)
  1. Odalys Ramos says:

The 5% deduction is not going to employee health care insurance as the Mayor would like you to believe. The deduction is simply another of the endless ways to continue the mad spending that needs to be reigned in. If the mayor/ commissioners impose this additional 5% the matter will go to court and as this practice is not legal it will be nullified. These deductions are an obvious “kick back”! This charade is like giving someone 10 dollars but they must give you back a dollar, hope you see the issue with this practice but no doubt a judge in a court of law will! The mayor is so arrogant he and his actions are going to cost the county a lot of money for his unfair and illegal labor tactics.

2. Tumay says:

As long as there is no strike like in Robocop.

3. majn1969 says:

Robocop was good. Especially that blond cop chick. Wait or was that Hunter…Locklear….ummmm..idk… Anyway back on topic..

Only layoff i see needing to happen is that fail Mayor..What is he thinking? Are there no County mental health programs available for this guy. All you Police should be held accountable for not baker acting him and letting him run wild…Does he pay for his car?

4. mspatti says:

Thanks Mr. President and congress. AND THE BEAT GOES ON….

5. Ms. B says:

Crooked is as crooked does; the truth will come to the light and when it does I hope all those affected by this nonsense spending will be properly compensated and all those who is backing this type of greedy and selfish behavior be dealt with accordingly in the court of law.

6. Robert says:

In another related article it quotes…”….. which represents nearly 4,600 county professional employees and supervisors”.

Why do they need to be classified as “Professional”, look around! When ever you needed something from the county people… do you think that your concern was handled in a professional way? Have you noticed the police cars with their little signs saying “Delivering excellence…”? I think that such is a joke and an insult to the people!
    And in this article they speak of the officers as …Crying. Did they ever cry when other people were going through “hard time” because of the incredible taxes to pay for all the wasteful programs dreamed-up by the County people and their super hefty paychecks to their personal friends… police and firemen who are making as much as Federal judges

7. ConcernedCitizen says:

WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD. YOU TRY TO BE THE SYSTEM, SUPPRESSING PEOPLES RIGHTS, NOW LOOK AT YOU. CRY ON. DRIVING COUNTY CARS FOR PERSONAL USE, SPEEDING DOWN HIGHWAYS IN A RECKLESS MANNER, I DON’T FEEL SORRY FOR YOU. GO JOIN THE REST STANDING IN THE UNEMPLOYMENT LINE, BETTER YET GET INTO ORGANIZED CRIME, MOST OF YOU SEEM TO BE. NO SYMPATHY HERE. HOW ABOUT ALL THOSE COMING HOME FOR OVERSEAS WITH NO JOBS, MANY WITH MORE EXPERIENCE IN TRULY SCARY SITUATIONS, MAYBE THEY WOULD LIKE YOUR JOBS.

8. Joey says:

I Agree I dont Feel sorry foe the Police Officers or the Corrections Dept , the Cops do nothing the other day the alarm at my hose went off and theyshowed up 3 hrs later, they use our tax dollars to drive cop cars and their families around town , they bsicaly do nothing, and Corrections have u ever seen how filthy the county jail is and how corrections officers basicallydont care or do anything, There are to many people UNEMPLOYED what makes them any diffetrent I agre ith the MAYOR an thousands of people have the same feelings I do ,

9. CINDY WASHINGTON says:

What is the BIG DEAl police officers and those with the proper creditentials can find employment anywhere. Check the internet their is plenty of work with the fifty two states in America or have you all alowed he illegals immigrants to come in and take you jobs now that they are citizens too!!!! AHAHAHA!!!!!

10. BG says:

Excuse me ppl but this can and will become tragic. Any cuts or lay off for county workers stem from a New Marlins Stadium which I think could have been avoided…the Marlins are not the Braves or Yankees. also the New Projected Tunnel is also reason for the Mis Management of county funds which the county workers had nothing to do with it but end up losing their jobs for.. To Hell with the BS….