MIAMI (CBSMiami.com) – The man accused of stabbing Florida International University football player Kendall Berry to death will be released on bond and remain on house arrest while he awaits trial, a Miami-Dade judge ruled Tuesday morning.

Quentin Wyche, 22, allegedly stabbed Berry to death on FIU’s main campus in March 2010 with a pair of scissors.

READ MORE: CDC Releases New Guidelines For Trial Cruises

Judge Milton Hirsch warned Wyche that he had to follow all the conditions and, once he posts bond, will only be allowed to go to the doctor or church on Sunday. He also warned him against contacting anyone on the witness list.

“Otherwise I will put you under the jail,” Hirsch told Wyche.

Defense attorney David Peckins said Wyche will live with his mother and father in Fort Lauderdale.

“The defendant will not be a [flight] risk. He has never failed to appear,” Peckins told the judge.

READ MORE: South Florida Streets Packed For Cinco De Mayo, First Big Holiday Since Governor Lifted Local COVID Restrictions

Peckins has argued that Wyche acted in self defense after friends of Berry attacked him outside the recreation center. The fight allegedly began because Wyche allegedly stuffed a cookie in Berry’s girlfriend’s face.

Berry’s family was at the hearing Tuesday morning and said they thought the judge was not being fair.

“My son who is not here for himself and [Wyche] gets to go free because they get to go on vacation,” said Kendall’s mother Melisscia Spillman referring to the fact that witnesses, other students, are on break for the summer and are not available for court appearances.

Last month, Spillman said she felt Wyche had shown no remorse.

MORE NEWS: COVID Vaccine No Longer Required This Fall For Those Returning To NSU Campus

“Just from my opinion, we haven’t really seen a change. I think there’s no remorse being shown. There’s nothing to show what caused you to go to this magnitude of murder,” she said.