HOMESTEAD (CBS4) – A German Shepherd that mauled a 7-year-old Homestead boy Thursday night was put down Friday morning. The 7-year-old is being labeled a hero for putting himself between two younger boys and the angry dog.

The 7-year-old remains hospitalized Friday after the attack.

Homestead police spokesperson Fernando Morales said the German Shepherd dug under the fence to escape from the property of a nearby business. It then found its way into the backyard of the home where the children were playing.

“As the dog started barking at the children, and attempting to attack the children, the 7-year-old grabbed a 4-year-old little brother and another 4-year-old friend and threw them under a car,” Morales said. “The child threw himself on the 4-year-old, basically shielding him from the dog.”

Morales said the dog then began to maul the older child.

The father of the 7-year-old boy witnessed what was going on, grabbed a shovel and began hitting the dog until it ran away. Miami-Dade Animal Services did catch up with the dog and they took it away.

The boy was airlifted to Miami Children’s Hospital, where staples were used to close wounds to his head and shoulder. Morales said the two 4-year-old boys were unhurt thanks to the quick action of the older boy, and said that boy’s injuries were not severe.

The dog’s owner was cited with two tickets as a result of the attack. One ticket was for $150 for having a dog running at large; and the other was $500 for the dog attacking the boy.

Comments (34)
  1. Arey says:

Just heartwarming and clearly raised by great parents.
    Hope he recovers soon.

2. 4MrBill says:

What is it with these dangerous dogs that the owners do not care about. They are just interested in the free protection a dog gives them. They do not care that the dog is suffering from no interaction with the owner. DOG’S THAT ARE CAUGHT RED HANDED LIKE THIS OUGHT TO BE SHOT ON SIGHT.

1. Carol says:

I couldn’t agree with you more if I tried put is really sad these dogs are that way because of how they are treated.

But is seems that this dog was there for protection purposes only if you have such a dog on your property you should make sure there is NO way for him or her to escape but no they didn’t make sure of that and they had to kill the innocent dog.

I feel badly for all of the boys that were attacked especially the seven (7) year old child because they were playing in their front yard and being good children and they didn’t even know there was a dangerous dog right down the street from where they lived.

Now I hope that the person who owns this dog will pay for all the medical bills for the seven (7) year old and the two (2) other boys involved in this horrible act.

MAY GOD BLESS ALL OF THE BOYS AND THEIR FAMILIES AS THEY GO THROUGH THIS REALLY TOUGH TIME NOW AND FOR ALL TI ME AS I AM SURE HE WILL!!!

1. GAIN AND AGEIN says:

Dogs are more sensitive than Chiuldren and their Parents, are at times.

They love you when you love and care for them

Some parents do not know how to raise their children, and these kids should not be allowed to play with dogs…

3. greg says:

heroes are born with “it” this brave kid has “it”

4. yokolee says:

Scare to death of those big dogs

1. Pat says:

Hopefully dog will be put down, in broward it would have 1 more chance beore put down.

5. Phyliss June Rinis Myers says:

What amazes me is that the 7 year old boy had the where with all to save the two younger children. At 7, I do not know if I had the smarts to even do that. Amazing young man. I pray he recovers full from this ordeal.

6. Alain A. says:

Im glad this time they didnt say it was a pitbull. and I agree with 4mrbill 100 percent. Its not soo much the dogs as it is the owners

7. Vincent Marinello says:

I AM SO SICK OF THESE STORIES AND IT ALL BECAUSE FREEKIN DOG OWNERS DO NOT TAKE EXTRA MEASURES THAT THEY SHOULD….IF I COULD MAKE THE DECISION ON THIS I WOULD PUT THE DOG OWNER IN PRISON FOR BEING AN IDIOT AND TURN HIS COMPANY OVER TO THE CHILD WHICH WILL HAPPEN ANYWAY AFTER THE LAW SUIT…..HOORAH FOR THE BOY AND THE HELL WITH THE OWNER

8. Fred Schaefer says:

Judging by the responses, all of us have had enough with vicious dogs. The solution is to place the owners in county prison for one month for each dog owned
    that injures (even slightly) anyone. “If there is no penalty, there is no Law”.

9. Steven Bonnell says:

Don’t blame the dog for doing what he was taught to do. A classic case of people putting the cart before thje horse. This was the owners fault 100% and he should pay all medical expenses and damages to the hero 7 year old. I will gladly take the dog and train him the right way. Don’t destroy a dog because the owner was stupid and had no business owning the dog in the first place. 4MrBill and Pat, the dog didn’t turn on the owner, he just did what he was taught to do. Why would you want to kill an innocent animal if it did just what it was taught to do? Destroying the dog just puts a bandaid on the problem. Punish the owner for not taking all proper precautions. I’ve lived with BIG dogs my whole life, some were very well trained guard dogs, and never has my dogs bit anybody that wasn’t suppose to be bitten. Those that were bit, needed to be.

1. Arthur says:

“Don’t blame the dog for doing what he was taught to do.”
      What was it taught to do? To escape from its owner’s property and go to other people’s backyard to bite children?

1. Steven Bonnell says:

The dog was taught to attack and destroy. No love, no care. If you train a dog to do just that, then you damn well better be sure to keep him secure. Dogs dig. The dog should not have been left in an area that he could dig out of. Owners fault!!! Not the dogs…..

2. The_Prince says:

I don’t know that much about dogs…but are you saying that the dog could have been rehabilitated?

1. Steven Bonnell says:

In short, yes!!!!

3. m says:

Didn’t you read..the dog dug under the fence and ended up at the kids house. If it was the kids fault, and they were bothering the dog, I understand not to kill the animal. But the kids were at their house.

I love dogs, but once it bites someone like that for NO REASON…bye bye dog.

1. Steven Bonnell says:

Again I state, if you are going to have a dog that is trained only to bite, you better be sure to keep him secure. I in no way stated it was the kids fault, and I want to see that young man commended for his actions. He truly is a hero and a fine example for many of the kids and adults out there to follow. But the dog did only what he was trained to do…Punish the owner, not the dog!!!

4. Melissa says:

Steven you clearly have no children. This dog left its yard into the boys yard and MAULED!! the 7 yr boy! and you say this child deserved to be?? You are a heartless man!! and yes thats what you said “Those that were bit, needed to be”. WOW I could understand an attack by a dog that was taunted but this was not the case! You didnt even wish the poor boy well!! The solution to this MAULING!! is to destroy this animal because it would have happened again! Steven if it were you MAULED!!! would you still think the same?? And not even wish the child well, you sir do not have Jesus is your heart! I pray this boy recovers fast!

1. Steven Bonnell says:

Melissa, you surely misread what I said. I have 6 children and we have always had Big dogs. I never stated the young man deserved to be bit. I said those that were bit by my dogs, deserved to be bit.(.I.e Trespassing onto my property, teasing , or trying to harm my family.) And I also stated the 7 year old was a hero if you read it….Along with the fact I feel the owner should pay all expenses and damages, physical and mental, of this family. I think he got off to cheap, $650 total?????? I do wish the boy much more than a speedy recovery, He should be commended as a hero. I stated that at another news site about this story…Results of this case..Kid = Hero Owner = Damn lucky and got off way to easy…should never own dogs again!!! Dog – DEAD…

10. sh says:

That little boy was a hero! God bless and get well soon. I agree with one of the other posters that the owner of the dog needs some tike in the big house for negligence. Oh and I am a dog owner but I train mine and not just keep him outside.

11. Jason White says:

the owner of the dog should get mauled himself … except to death!

12. Tony says:

If youd seen the news report youd know their yard is unfenced, and the kids were playing outside unsupervised. Great parenting of a 7 yr old and 4 year olds.

1. Steven Bonnell says:

No one can blame the parents, they should be able to let their kids play in their own yard….This is America, not a third world country. I’ve never seen any requirement that your yard has to be fenced…and the kids were in their own yard…No parenting issue here…Prayers to the family and kids.

13. m says:

boy a hero….owner should be in jail…..but I don’t agree with putting the dog down.

14. Drako says:

Pat and Mr. Bill should be put down, the fact that the dog was put down is very sad and a shame. Dogg should have been taken from the guy and given to a better home. Anyone who thinks the dog should be put down should be hanged and shot. RIP sweet doggie.

1. Steven Bonnell says:

Little harsh there, even for me….LOL But I did volunteer to take the dog….

15. Drako says:

And Melissa, how about if your kids steal ANYTHING or break ANY rule, we should destroy them because “it would jus happen again”

16. Carol says:

I just hope they don’t blame the dog because it is not the fault of the dog it the fault of the dog owner and that is a fact.

I just hope that the owner of this dog will pick up all of the hospital bills for this family and also all medical bills of the family of the the other boy and there will be bills and big ones at that.

MAY GOD GIVE THE FAMILIES INVOLVED THEM THE STRENGTH TO GET PAST THIS HORRIBLE TIME AS I AM SURE HE WILL!!!

17. glen Leslie says:

Sorry, people. Whoever thinks this dog could have been re-habilitated is wrong. The dog was obviously not socialized & used strictly as a *guard/protection* dog. The lack of socialization is crucial in this case but the animal was used to *guard* property. The fact the dog dug out is a red flag the animal was NOT trained to do it’s job. It was simply thrown into a sitiutation and most likely abused (physically & emotionally) to bring the genetics of an unsound mind to the surface.

A dog that attacks a human being with no provaction (fear for it’s life and/or guarding specific property) is genetically skewed. What some people are missing here is the dog was in a mind set of KILLING. Without the adult’s intervention, the child would have died.

Any dog with this kind of *drive* to kill a human being should NOT be allowed to live.

And I ask the people who think this dog can be *re-habilitated*, would YOU bring this animal into YOUR house? Around YOUR children?

Genetics sets the tenperament. This dog’s *temperament* was unsound. You cannot CHANGE genetics. Certainly not that of a dog which attacks to kill.

Also……IF this had been an American Pit Bull Terrier? Would you be saying *let it live, it can be helped*. No. Absolutely no.

I own an APBT. They make lousy *guard* dogs. And any APBT which attacks a human is genetically skewed. DEATH. No other considerations.

It is called a *lethal weapon* in animal form.

1. Steven Bonnell says:

First off, yes, I do believe the dog may have been rehabilitated and yes, I did volunteer to take the dog into my home. The dogs genetics were NOT changed. That comes from birth….This dog was trained, be it wrong, to attack. That is what it did. Your comment of “A dog that attacks a human being with no provaction (fear for it’s life and/or guarding specific property) is genetically skewed. What some people are missing here is the dog was in a mind set of KILLING.” is an incorrect statement. This dog was a trained attack dog…not a guard dog…and yes it could possibly have been rehabilitated. It is not easy, nor fast. It takes time. First you have to teach the dog respect, then you retrain the dog to protect, not attack. I have lived with BIG dogs with my kids my whole life. I had dogs that could kill in a second, and I could put a piece of meat between my teeth and they would take it from me, without biting. My kids could pull their tail, and be near the feed bowl when the dogs were eating…and never would my dogs growl at my kids. They knew they were there to protect my family.and never were my kids ever bitten. I have been bitten and I carry scars from a dogs bite, but that was my fault. I tried to rush a dog that was abused and he wasn’t quite ready to be intermingled. As far as the APBT, they are wnderful dogs but, they have been genetically bred and sometimes they are “skewed.” You do need to be careful with them because they can “Go off..” without any provocation. I wish the best for you and your dogs, but I feel it was wrong to destroy this dog….and yes they are “Lethal weapons” but so are my guns. It is the owners responsibility to take care of them.!!.

18. nancy says:

iI FEEL BAD FOR THE CHILD HOPE HE RECOVERS SOON. I HAVE ALWAYS HAD GERMAN SHEPARD DOGS FOR ME THEY HAVE BEEN THE BEST COMPANIONS AND FAMILY DOG. THEY WERE RAISED WITH MY VERY SMALL CHILD. ALWAYS FAITHFUL. IT REALLY DEPENDS HOW THE DOG IS TREATED AND THE TRAINING THEY RECEIVE SPECIALLY IF THEY ARE TRAINED AS A GUARD DOG. OWNERS SHOULD BE HELP RESPONSIBLE AND INVESTIGATED TO SEE HOW THE DOG WAS KEPT AND TREATED. THIS IS A BIG FACTOR TOWARD THE DOGS REACTION AND AGRESSION. SAME WITH PITBULLS SOME I HAVE COME IN CONTACT WITH ARE WONDERFUL DOGS. ( ONCE AGAIN LOOK INTO THE OWNERS..