PLANTATION (CBS4) – Former South Florida radio legend Neil Rogers is facing serious, declining health issues and is requesting privacy.

Rogers, 68, has been suffering from several health ailments recently, and friend and attorney Norman Kent issued as statement Sunday saying the radio host is battling progressive vascular dementia, a condition which leads to neurological symptoms.

Rogers suffered a stroke and heart attack in October and his condition has been declining since Thanksgiving. He underwent surgery earlier this month at Westside Regional Hospital to clear arterial blockages.

The surgery was high-risk because of other underlying conditions which include diabetes, Kent said.

“The complications associated with Neil’s diabetes and the corresponding stroke, have functionally impaired his cognitive abilities. He is not always aware of his circumstances and surroundings,” Kent said, adding that “Neil is also suffering presently from ‘Sundowners Syndrome,’ also known as sundowning. It is a symptom often associated with the early stages of dementia, including Alzheimer’s.”

People with Sundowners Syndrome, Kent said, suffer from an uncomfortable sleep and mood disorder which causes them to experience periods of extreme agitation and confusion during the late afternoon or early evening hours, leading to irritability towards even caregivers or hospital staff.

However, Rogers is seldom alone through this ordeal, Kent said.

“Neil is on a daily basis surrounded by his longest and most loyal intimate friends and acquaintances. He has 24 hour around the clock nursing care, and he has also, when lucid, been buoyed by multiple colleagues in the broadcast industry reaching out to him, stirring nostalgic remembrances of days that once were.”

Kent said these issues are being made public in order to call attention and to raise awareness of this disease that causes so much suffering.

Kent said “As you remember him, recall what he used to say- “It’s only a radio show”. Hopefully, in those hours on the air he taught all of us to press on in our daily lives with an abiding sense of wit and humor. Today, though, he is a patient in a hospice, asking that you respect his privacy and dignity. Visits and calls are no longer appropriate.”

The talk show host spent more than three decades on South Florida airwaves, starting at WJNO in Palm Beach. He has also been on WKAT, WNWS, WINZ, WIOD. He was most recently on AM 560 WQAM, before he retired in 2009.

Comments (66)
  1. Whoard Stern says:

Neil is the Greatest…………..

2. code1 says:

If it is to be, the Rapture will forever take care of you. RIP

3. alfred cook-bodden says:

There is nobody better than NEIL. Thank you for all the laughter and good times NEIL GOD.

4. albert says:

i have no words……a lot of loss God Bless You Neil

5. Brenda says:

Just know that you are loved by so many that you’ve given laughter to. Thanks for your humorous insight. God Bless.

6. Kenny says:

I Grew Up On Neil

1. goatboy says:

I threw up on Neil

7. Maria says:

My heartfelt thoughts…My father passed 4 years ago on Dec 1st, he had ALZ for 16 years. He did not suffer we di. A qoute: WE REMEMBER FOR HIM. I am a volunteer for the ALZ ASSOC. Blessing and Courage

8. paul t. manney says:

I’m going to miss you”Old Man’!!!
    You’re the best Bro !
    The world will be at a loss when you go.
    “A man who does not spend time with his family is not a man !”
    LOVE YOU …

9. Jazz McKay says:

If Neil could he would say that WFOR is spineless because they did not have the courage to air his story on the 6:00 PM newscast. Neil has more class than anyone at WFOR will ever have. I am going to draw a carikature (as Elliott Rodriguez pronounces this word) or caricature of Neil. The right wing only talk in Mi-Jami Is awful.

LONG LIVE THE KING OF RADIO IN MI-JAMI (OR MIAMI AS IT USED TO BE CALLED).

10. Kendall Julio says:

Neil Rogers has to be the best radio talk show host of all time and you’ll never see anyone as great as Neil was on these locak radio stations, they like stupid a—s sports shows and right wing propaganda to spew to these idiots in mi-jami. I guess CBS4 would rather show a live news conference of the Hurricoons, instead of showing a story that interests people and something that would be interesting. Also, the news producers need to get the news broadcasters( or whatever they call themselves) some ingles lessons to stop mis-pronouncing their stories.

11. Terri W. says:

Jazz McKay was right on the money with everything he said. Neil…..GOD!!! We love you and the airwaves haven’t been the same since you left. They never will again.

12. mike says:

It’s sad when the curtains come down and the show is over forever.

13. Janet Reno says:

The don’t come any better than Neil Rogers!

14. James says:

Neil Rogers is God!!!!!

15. Ann Bishop says:

Neil GOD!

16. Peppy Caprita says:

Kendall Julio, I agree with you. I have stopped watching Channel 4 because the news anchors act like total fools. The news is filled with Comedy Central type news stories. I also was waiting for the story to air about Neil and it was postponed because of technical difficulties. Sports is very important in Miami-Dade, and that is why this town is a cesspool. No wonder Neil moved to Toronto!

1. Glenn Hilltop says:

Ummm… CBS 4 Genius the day that Neil’s report was supposed to air there was no game. There was a press conference with the new UM football coach. There was plenty of time to air Neil’s story. What takes up time is the anchors taking nonsense between each other after every single news story. You mentioned I could watch the newscast on the web if I miss a newscast. Frankly, I do not even care to watch the CBS 4 News when it is live let alone a repeat.

17. BIG AL says:

HEY………THIS GUY IS GETTING READY TO MEET THE GOD HE HAS BEEN DUTIFULLY MOCKING THE PAST 30 YEARS !
    ASSUME ROOM TEMPERATURE AND GET IT OVER WITH YOU OLD CRANK.

1. RANDRAND says:

but if GOD has a place in his wide majesty for the mirth and levity(WHICH I AM SURE IS TRUE!),HE will pull up an easy chair for OLD NEIL, light up a fine cigar for him,and say,:HEY, REMEMBER THAT BRIDGE-TENDER STORY—-MAN- THAT BUSTED THE WINGS OFF THE ANGELS WHEN THEY HEARD THAT ONE……!?

18. Terri W. says:

Gee, Big Al, and you know this for a fact, do you? And just how do you know? Explain in common sense terms, Al. No silly bible thumping, thank you. Perhaps Neil is RIGHT about the existence or non-existence of a deity. And then won’t YOU be surprised when YOU “assume room temperature” you jealous plebe.

19. BIG AL says:

WELL NOW TERRI…..FIRST OFF CHRISTIANITY IS BASED ON FAITH AND YOU EITHER HAVE IT OR YOU DO NOT. BUT LETS SAY THAT YOUR VIEW IS CORRECT,THEN I HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. YET IF MY VIEW IS CORRECT,THEN YOU CAN JOIN NEIL IN HELL. TIME WILL TELL !
    NON-THE-LESS I ENJOY HEARING ABOUT THIS CREEPS STRUGGLES IN HIS LAST DAYS !

20. norman bates says:

all this dribble from this guy about how bad our health care is in the states and how great it is in canada…………….why did he leave his canadian home to get all this rotten health care the past several months?

1. Captain Obvious says:

Yo momma, Norm.
      Oh wait. Never mind.

21. Terri W. says:

Your remarks and attitude tell me EXACTLY what kind of “Christian” YOU are, Big Al. Typical hate-mongering hypocrite. And, Norman, Neil is not a Canadian citizen. He’s an American citizen.

22. BIG AL says:

JUST ASSUME ROOM TEMPERATURE AND LETS GET IT OVER WITH !

23. BIG AL says:

LET ME TEACH YOU SOMETHING,TERRI !
    YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A CANADIAN CITIZEN TO RECIEVE HEALTH CARE IN CANADA,AND VICE-VERSA !
    FUNNY TO SEE CHESTER OPTING FOR U.S. HEALTH CARE AFTER PRAISING CANADIAN HEALTH CARE FOR YEARS.
    YOU ARE ABOUT AS INTELIGENT AS A STALK OF CELERY.

1. Mike Korleone says:

I banged your mom last night with a celery stalk. Go listen to Beck, Hannity & drug addled Rush Limbaugh. The right wing wants to destroy the United States, and they are doing a great job!

24. Terri W. says:

@Mike Corleone LOL! Can’t vouch for that celery stick incident since I wasn’t there, but you’re right on with the rest! As for the simpering idiot who can’t even use a message board without screaming at everyone—talk about insecurity—you can receive medically necessary care in Canada, but the extent of that coverage varies depending on the province. However, most of Neil’s long-time friends and colleagues are HERE, he still maintains a residence HERE and so opted to return HERE for treatment. That’s HIS choice. He was incensed by so many Americans having NO health coverage and felt that it was unconcsionable for that to happen in this country. And he is right. And he was arrested ONCE by two policemen spending their afternoon inside an adult movie theater, but he was never convicted of the charges.

25. Terri W. says:

And one more thing: for someone who likes to label himself “BIg” Al, you come across as one of the SMALLEST people I’ve ever had to displeasure to cross paths with. Stating that you actually enjoy knowing another human being is struggling or suffering in their final days has more in common with the mentality of a sociopath than it does any sort of decent, moral person. I think if God DOES exist, he’d be more impressed with someone who helped others and was kind and compassionate to fellow human beings and who DIDN’T believe, because they did those things not for “brownie points” or to get a “good spot” in Heaven but because they knew those were the right things to do. You’re only trying to keep your “bases covered” just in case, which isn’t TRUE faith at ALL.

26. Terri W. says:

*THE displeasure—either way, you’re equally distatsteful and a crass individual.

27. The Bird says:

[Cackle]

28. AL says:

IS HE DEAD YET ? LET ME CHECK.
    NO…HE IS STILL STRUGGLING.
    MAYBE TOMORROW.

29. Terri W. says:

Oh, look, Little Alice is still hysterical and screaming. That indicates a personal tie to all this. Why don;t you just admit that, at some point in the past, you asked Neil for a date and he turned you down FLAT? As for arrests and the D.A. “caving”, if they had a solid case and if someone was a danger to kids, celebrity wouldn’t save someone. It certainly didn’t save Bill Kamal. And guess what? God called and said you don’t represent his views and to never speak on his behalf again.

30. lake worth ed says:

why would any of neils listeners being all aghast over post in here satirizing this man’d dying?
    i was an avid listener and have heard neil in the past laughing and carrying on over the deats of princess di,maichael jackson,jerry falwell and ron reagan.
    why is it outta taste now but was good listening when he did it?

31. lake worth ed says:

wow,alot of typos !
    lol
    am typing with a broke finger.

32. AL says:

I GUESS “CELEBRITY STATUS” DIDNT SAVE MICHAEL JACKSON OR O.J. EITHER………………TERRI THE MORE YOU POST THE STUPIDER YOU SOUND!
    JUST KNOW THAT WHEN I AM RESTING IN BED TONIGHT PREPARING FOR A GREAT NIGHT SLEEP THAT I AM THINKING OF CHESTER STRUGGLING TO JUST GET THRU THE NIGHT.
    I HEAR HE IS DYING OF FOOD POISEN………GOT HOLD OF A BAD WIENNIE !

33. Terri W. says:

You’re right, Alice. The more you post, the stupider you DO sound. The fact that you can’t even spell allows me to just “consider the source” when it comes to your spewing all over the board. Think about this tonight—Neil is resting quite comfortably, I’m sure, while for as long as you breathe oxygen, you’ll still have to be YOU. Talk about cruel fate. Or perhaps that’s called “justice”.

34. Glenn Hilltop says:

Lake Worth Ed. Did you break your finger trying to shove it in the anus of Big Al. It is widely known right wing republicans can not spell or complete a coherent sentence. Neil’s show was satire I doubt anyone who is republican knows the definition. Please, right wing crazies go post your fascist hate speech on Sean Hannity’s message board. I hope Glen Beck’s tongue turns to wood, so this county can go back to normal. LONG LIVE NEIL ROGERS! MIKE MALLOY! RANDI RHODES!

35. ITS ALL ABOUT AL says:

DID HE CROAK YET ?
    HOLD ON,LET ME CHECK………………..

NOPE,NOT YET !
    HE NEEDS TO GO ON AHEAD AND ASSUME ROOM TEMPERATURE.
    IT WILL BE ONE LESS SEX OFFENDER IN OUR PARKS.

36. Terri W. says:

Alicia, (since you’re definitely clueless), you have no idea how many things you’ve got wrong. The first thing you’ve got wrong is thinking you’re in any way, shape or form, a clever person. For one thing, you have no idea about me—at ALL. But, that’s okay. I like to see you making a foul-mouthed fool of yourself, vomiting your lies and dreck all over this board. Obviously, CBS-4 has no moderator, because there are usually rules about that sort of thing. Oh, and I hate to break it to you but when they told you to resign or your’re fired, Alicia? That isn’t really “retiring”.

37. Terri W. says:

For the rest who MIGHT believe “Loser Alicia”, if there was any truth to what he was saying, he wiould have FACTS. And, just like police and prosecution in Miami Beach, he has NONE. That’s why the charge against Neil was dropped. Celebrity might influence a JURY. But, neither OJ’s nor Michael Jackson’s celebrity could keep their cases from going to TRIAL. That’s because police and prosecutors felt they had strong cases with sufficient evidence, reliable witnesses and alleged victims coming forward. Wonder what Loser Alicia has on HIS record?

38. Terri W. says:

And Lake Worth Ed, I’m truly amazed by your memory of Neil making fun of Michael Jackson’s death! Especially since Neil retired June 22, 2009 and Michael Jackson died, suddenly and unexpectedly, on June 25th, 2009. Neil was paid big bucks to BE “Neil Rogers” on a show. He created humor and controversy while exposing hypocrisy in all its various forms. For people to get on here and engage in the same behavior they claimed made Neil “vulgar and disgusting” makes THEM hypocrites and exposes thekr true character. And they’re not even doing it as part of a job! Now, THAT’S “vulgar and disgusting”.

39. Selborne Rogers says:

Terri W.

You have to understand the right wing crazy sense of humor is mocking dead or dying people. The right wing nut jobs like the ones on this board want to have intercourse with Glenn Beck. Also, in their personal lives many of them are gay (they never use that word) or “homosexual”. The majority of conservative nut jobs are anti-abortion, but they could not give a crap about helping the living in any way. The right is so tough and they salivate when listening to cowards like Limpaw, Hannity & Beck who always talk about war, but will NEVER enlist to join the armed forces.

Terri, do not get upset this right wing tools can not even think for themselves. They need to listen to right wing talkers to think for them.

40. Terri W. says:

Thanks, Selborne Rogers and CBS-4game. I appreciate your comments. I’m not really personally upset—-the crank on here doesn’t have a clue about me whatsoever and I know that. I just feel that accusing someone of being a “pedophile” is a very serious charge and not something to joke about. Neil did a lot for the South Florida community and raised thousands of dollars for local charities. I don’t care for Howard Stern myself, but if he was in a bad way, I wouldn’t be wasting my time on a message board just to speak ill of him. Guess that says yet one MORE thing about the cranks.

41. The Bridgetender says:

That guy was some kind of idiotic jerk jerk jerk jerk

He didn’t know the rules on navrigable waterways

42. Larry King says:

Loan me $50 dollars….

43. ITS ALL ABOUT AL says:

MY COMMENTS ON TERRI WEIGHING 180 REALLY HIT THE BUTTON !
    TOO FUNNY.
    TERRI DONT BE BOTHERED BY YOUR WEIGHT.
    I HAVE ALOT OF FAT FRIENDS.

44. ITS ALL ABOUT AL says:

‘RIGHT WING CRAZY SENSE OF HUMOR’ ????
    TOO FUNNY !
    I GUESS CHESTER IS A RIGHT WING FANATIC.
    MY POLITICAL BELIEFS ARE PROBABLY THE MOST LIBERAL ON THE ENTIRE BOARD. THIS IS SO FUNNY.
    YOU ARE CLUELESS ON JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING.

45. ITS ALL ABOUT AL says:

ACTUALLY SOLD MY BUSINESS LAST YEAR. SOLD AS A ‘TURN KEY’ OPERATION. RETIRED AT 50 AND LOVING LIFE.
    BTW TERRI,IS THE BOSS LETTING YOU OFF FRIDAY?
    WHEN THEY HAVE YOUR OFFICE X-MAS PARTY BE COSIDERATE OF OTHERS WHEN YOU GET TO THE COOKIE AND BROWNIE TABLE.
    I AM LEAVING TODAY FOR A 2 WEEK GET-A-WAY IN BIG PINE KEY.
    LIFE IS GREAT !

1. Stan Coleman says:

Wow, great to hear about your life. Now that you are retired you can go back to school and learn to write correctly. Can I ask you a question, please? Why do Republicans have difficulty with grammar. You write in all CAPS. LONG LIVE NEIL ROGERS, MIKE MALLOY, RANDI RHODES And BTLS.

1. Terri W. says:

Yeah, a rwo week “get-away”. For two weeks whoever this guy approaches will be saying “get away”. LOL

46. Terri W. says:

No, he’s still on here posting under “It’s All About Al”.

47. Clint Eastwood says:

Big Pine Key LOL, the Mississippi of the Fl Keys. Which trailer park do you keep your tri-cycle at Al? I’m guessing Breezy Pines due to Castaways and Royal Palm being within a 1,000 feet of a church or school. Have fun at the flea market loser.

48. Jazz McKay says:

Al, you say Terri weighs 180. You mom weighs 280, and banged her while I was traveling through Lutz. NEIL WE LOVE YOU!

49. Terri W. says:

You know, Jazz, Clint and Stan, you guys are as sweet as can be and genuinely funny, too. What a rehreshing change from the other jerk! The TRULY funny part is how the “other one” starts feeling the need to tell his life story to “prove” himself. I don’t NEED to prove anything to some stranger on a message board. If you guys knew me or saw me, you would realize how little his comments phase me. But, thanks guys! 🙂

1. Terri W. says:

Btw, I thought about it after I posted, but I do realize that it should have been “faze”. And since I know how to spell, I have no excuse for that other than a glitch in my personal hard drive! 🙂 Maybe it’s living in South Florida with all the overdevelopment—“Phase I”, “Phase II”—you get that drummed into your brain driving by those freaking gated communities! lol

50. Jazz McKay says:

Yes, I know. he is retired now like he says. He should go back to school and learn who to write like a normal human instead of writing in all CAPS. Now that Al has a lot of free time he can help his wife pick the fleas off her back. Al also calls Neil Chester ??? Al is so humorous she/he should have his own radio show. I know Al has pictures of Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh above his bed.

Okay, now sing along with me… Neil wakes me up in the morning… Neil wakes me up with a smile! That song is from Neil’s ZETA 4 days.

1. Terri W. says:

I’ve heard the song! 😀 And all I can say is “ROY!!!!” LMAO! (I’d get a “buttloads” in there, too, as a shout-out to Rick and Suds, but you’d better know what to say in return, Jazz!)

51. harrycarry says:

Jesus H. Christ, The Founding Fathers, Elvis Presley, Lenny Bruce, Howard Stern – all revolutionarys but they pale in comparison to Neil Rogers – OHH!!

52. RANDRAND says:

THE REASON AMERICA IS IN THE GRIPS OF DESPAIR NOW-IS BECAUSE WE HAVE LOST THE FINE ART OF LAUGHING AT OURSELVES-NEIL ROGERS WAS ALL ABOUT THAT SELF EFFACING HUMOR-OFTEN DIRECTED AT HIMSELF AND HIS OWN FOIBLES. IN THE END-YOU SIT DOWN AND SAY,DAMN-THAT WAS A HELLUVA FUNNY MAN-THE LIKES OF WHICH WE MAY NEVER SEE AGAIN!”

53. RANDRAND says:

AS A GUARD, THROUGH THE YEARS-LISTENING TO NEIL UPLIFTED OUR OTHERWISE DRAB DAY/EVENING-EVEN ON A SLOW NEWS DAY-YOU COULD COUNT ON NEIL EATING THE ARTIFICIAL CANDY AND POOPING IN HIS EXPENSIVE CORVETTE CAR TO A FINE RUINATION! THE GUY HAD THE WHIT OF A COURT JESTER, THE AUDACITY OF A SQUIRREL, AND THE NERVE TO “BE OUT OF THE CLOSET” LONG BEFORE IT WAS PROPER. MIAMI SALUTES IT’S FAVORITE COMEDY SON-ENTERTAIN THE ANGELS IN HEAVEN UNTIL THEY CAN’T STOP LAUGHING—-WE WON’T!

54. Terri W. says:

Leave it to Neil! He’s the only man who could and would be able to upstage Christmas. We who listened to and kived you are better for it and you will be greatly missed. And right now, somewhere “out there” they’re ALL saying, “Neil……..GOD!!!!” OH!!!

55. Terri W. says:

Wow, I’m upset, but I certainly meant “loved”, not “kived” whatever that might mean. But if that’s a good thing, then I meant that, too.

56. Mr Horacio L. says:

I grew up listening to Neil Rogers and now at age 39 being older one can appreciate his talent and wisdom . I can only hope that all of us can remember all the times he kept us going while driving on the road and those crazy callers. I hope somebody compiles all the shows so that others can enjoy for the future . I will be the first to say that Neil Rogers One ot the Best Radio people ever! You will be missed.