The battle to get rid of the invasive and destructive Giant African Land Snails is gaining new importance after a new study found a rare parasite in the snails, and three other non-native species of snails, can cause serious health problems in humans and animals.
A Coral Gables High graduate who was a nursing student at Georgetown University died Tuesday from an apparent case of meningitis.
he battle to get rid of invasive and destructive Giant African Land Snails just got a little harder after the disease-carrying, stucco-eating mollusk was located for the first time in Broward County.
The battle to rid South Florida of the Giant African Land Snail is going well but not well enough.
The Giant African Land Snail has become a giant issue in South Florida which has already led to snail-sniffing dogs and teams of people trying to capture the invasive species.
The parents of students at Deerfield Park Elementary School were notified Tuesday about a case of bacterial meningitis.
South Florida is gaining ground on the large, slimy Giant African Land Snails that first appeared in the region two years ago.
Parents at Challenger Elementary School in Tamarac were notified Monday that a case of the potentially deadly bacterial meningitis was reported at the school.
Another case of fungal meningitis stemming from a contaminated drug has been confirmed in Florida.
A second deadly case in as many months of bacterial meningitis has been confirmed in South Florida, Miami-Dade County Health officials said Wednesday.