WASHINGTON (CBSMiami) – The White House continues to face questions about the resignation of a former staffer accused of domestic abuse.
FBI Director Christopher Wray didn’t say what was in Rob Porter’s background check, but he did say when it was delivered to the White House.
“The FBI submitted a partial report on the investigation in question in March and then a completed background investigation in late July,” Wray said.
WRAY testified the FBI handed over requested follow-up information on Porter in November 2017 and closed its investigation last month.
Wray’s timeline differs from the White House’s version of events.
The White House Press Secretary had this explanation Tuesday.
“It was ongoing, hadn’t been completed,” said Sarah Huckabee Sanders. “The White House personnel security office, which is staffed by career officials, may have received information, but they had not completed their process and made a recommendation to the white house”
The White House and Chief of Staff John Kelly are on the defensive because Porter’s two ex-wives told investigators he physically abused them.
“I am concerned, a lot of us are concerned about what has come to light in terms of these background checks,” said Arizona GOP Sen. Jeff Flake.
Porter was serving as staff secretary with an interim security clearance.
Once the FBI completes its background investigation the White House decides whether to approve full clearance.
“Somebody is dropping the ball for sure because these investigations should have been completed,” said former White House Chief of Staff Leon Panetta.
More than a year into the Trump administration, dozens of top officials still don’t have full security clearance, including the president’s son-in-law Jared Kushner.
The White House press secretary said again today that President Trump supports the victims of domestic violence, but the President himself did not respond to reporter questions about domestic violence.