Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

STANFORD (CNN) — The former Stanford University swimmer who was convicted last year of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman — and spent only three months in jail — is appealing his convictions and requesting a new trial.

s065229482 Ex Stanford Swimmer Convicted Of Sexual Assault Asks For New Trial

Former Stanford University swimmer Brock Turner, who was convicted of sexual assault in 2016, wants a new trial. Turner and the case drew national attention when he spent three months in jail after he was convicted.

Lawyers for Brock Turner filed an appeal Friday with California’s 6th District Court of Appeal, claiming their client was denied due process during his 2016 trial and calling it “fundamentally unfair.”

Turner was charged after two Stanford graduate students witnessed the assault taking place in January 2015 while they were riding bicycles near Stanford. He was 19 at the time.

A jury in Santa Clara County found Turner guilty in March 2016 on three felony counts: assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated or unconscious person, penetration of an intoxicated person and penetration of an unconscious person.

Key to Turner’s request for a new trial is a statement the prosecutor repeatedly made during trial, saying the assault occurred “behind the dumpster.”

The assault, Turner’s lawyers argue, did not occur “behind the dumpster.” Indeed, the victim was found in a “completely open setting,” the appeal states, adding that the implication that the crime occurred “behind the dumpster” prejudiced the jury against Turner.

That characterization of the crime, “implied an intent on the appellant’s part to shield and sequester his activities” and “implied moral depravity, callousness and culpability on the appellant’s part because of the inherent connotations of filth, garbage, detritus and criminal activity frequently associated with dumpsters,” the document states.

The appeal also claims Turner was denied a fair trial because witnesses who would testify to his good character were excluded by the court. It also claims the prosecution failed “to present constitutionally sufficient evidence” to support the three counts of conviction.

Turner’s lawyer, Eric Multhaup, said he had nothing to add about “the unfairness of the conviction” beyond the court filing.

“What we are saying is that what happened is not a crime,” John Tompkins, Turner’s legal adviser, told KNTV. “It happened, but it was not anywhere close to a crime.”

Turner’s trial was thrown into the national spotlight after the victim’s wrenching impact statement went viral, then again when Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky gave Turner to a six-month jail sentence, prompting an outcry from critics who said the punishment was too lenient. As a result of the backlash, Persky — at his own request — no longer hears criminal cases.

Turner was released for good behavior after serving just half the sentence imposed. As part of his sentence, Turner must register for life as a sex offender.

(©2017 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.)

Comments
  1. John Fleming says:

    I take he’s learned some new things while meeting with other rapist in lock down. He’ll do his raping correctly now, he has learned too leave no witnesses… Nonetheless, maybe at his age he didn’t know better? Or his own strength, thous the raping came naturally yea a new trail..

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Miami

Get Your Daily DoseHere's some good news just for you.
CBS4 New Home For Florida Lottery
Pro Football Challenge

Watch & Listen LIVE