Florida Man Indicted In Target Stores Bomb Plot

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

OCALA (CBSMiami/AP) — A Florida man accused of plotting to set off bombs in Target stores so he could profit from a plunge in the company’s stock price has been indicted by a Grand Jury.

An indictment filed Wednesday in federal court in Ocala charges 49-year-old Mark Barnett with five counts of attempted arson, possession of a destructive device and unlawful possession of a weapon.

A criminal complaint says the convicted felon offered a friend $10,000 to place packages of food filled with explosives at Target stores along the East Coast in February. The friend instead went to authorities. Authorities say Barnett hoped to buy Minnesota-based Target stock after the price plunged.

In another recent bomb plot linked to financial gain, German prosecutors say a 28-year-old man schemed to net millions by betting against a prominent soccer team and then bombing the team’s bus.

The officials said last month that the German-Russian citizen, identified only as Sergej W. in line with German privacy laws, took out a five-figure loan to bet that Borussia Dortmund shares would drop, then bombed the team’s bus April 11 when it left the team hotel in an attack he tried to disguise as Islamic terrorism.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Miami

CBS4 New Home For Florida Lottery
Pro Football Challenge

Watch & Listen LIVE