VERO BEACH (CBSMiami) – Residents and visitors on the Treasure Coast are bracing for some of the worst weather from Hurricane Matthew.
Most hotels on the mainland are sold out as visitors, and residents who evacuated the barrier island, took shelter.
Many businesses and homeowners spent Wednesday putting up shutters and taking preventative measures.
The Indian River County Emergency Operation Center went into full activation mode Thursday morning. Mandatory evacuation order went into effect at 8 a.m. for people who in mobile and manufactured homes, low lying areas and sub-standard housing.
Five shelters, including one for individuals with special needs, are now open.
- Click here for ways to prepare yourself for an impending storm from the CBSMiami.com Hurricane Preps page
- Click here for the latest news surrounding hurricanes and the National Hurricane Center
- Click here to see all of the latest maps when a storm forms in the Atlantic
- Click here to download the CBS4 2016 Hurricane Guide (English)
- Click here to download the CBS4 2016 Hurricane Guide (Spanish)
- Click here for Live Weather Blog
- Download CBS4 Weather App Here