MIAMI (CBSMiami) — With Hurricane Matthew looming near Florida, schools in Broward and Miami-Dade counties are making preparations but not cancelling school Wednesday.
“We expect a normal school day tomorrow but we have cancelled the athletic programs, any other extracurricular activities and night school,” said Carvalho during a press conference Tuesday evening.
In Broward County, schools will be open Wednesday but events after school have been cancelled.
“All evening classes, after school activities, sports and events are cancelled,” said Broward County Public School Superintendent Robert Runcie.
As for Thursday and Friday, that’s a different story.
“Thursday and Friday we are closing schools,” said Runcie as Broward County is currently under Hurricane Watch. “The good news is it goes into a weekend so it gives us a lot more time for us to be prepared to reset the district so we can open schools the following week.”
“The decision about Thursday will be dependent on the information that we will receive from Miami-Dade County,” said Carvalho.
If winds pick up and go over 39 miles an hour, then the school buses cannot operate, forcing the school system to shut down and cancel class said Carvalho.
Whether there is school or not, Carvalho urged residents to prepare.
“An ounce of preparation avoids three pounds of panic,” said Carvalho, reiterating Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez’s message.
Miami-Dade schools were being inspected and checked Tuesday for loose debris ahead of a possible hit.
As for schools in Palm Beach County, they will be open on Wednesday but closed on Thursday and Friday.
- Click here for ways to prepare yourself for an impending storm from the CBSMiami.com Hurricane Preps page
- Click here for the latest news surrounding hurricanes and the National Hurricane Center
- Click here to see all of the latest maps when a storm forms in the Atlantic
- Click here to download the CBS4 2016 Hurricane Guide (English)
- Click here to download the CBS4 2016 Hurricane Guide (Spanish)
- Click here for Live Weather Blog
- Download CBS4 Weather App