Man, Teen Accused In Shooting Of 13-Year-Old To Remain In Custody

Follow CBSMIAMI.COM: Facebook | Twitter

MIAMI (CBSMiami) –An arrest has been made in the shooting of a Brownsville teen early Tuesday evening.

Eric Williams-Bell, 19, has been charged with attempted first-degree murder, fleeing police and resisting arrest.

A new Miami-Dade police report says the victim was shot by the 17-year-old suspect. The report said that teen told a friend he was looking for the victim and said he was shot while sitting on his bicycle. The report said the 17-year-old suspect fired two shots and one of them struck the victim in the back of his neck.

Williams-Bell was held without bond during a hearing on Wednesday and a judge ordered him to have no contact with the victim. He was also given an assistant public defender. There was testimony that he has a child and works at a fast food restaurant.

Cedric Pernell, 13, was shot in the back at 4725 NW 24th Avenue around 6 p.m.

Miami-Dade Police said Williams-Bell and two minors, riding in a white Mercedes 4-door sedan, were seen fleeing the area just after the shooting.

There was testimony at the hearing that Wiliams-Bell was the driver of the car that prompted a short chase and ended when the Mercedes lost control and crashed at NW 7th Avenue and NW 56th Street.

It all happened while police and city officials were holding a town hall meeting across town, addressing violence and how to stop it.

“We’re not playing around anymore,” said Miami-Dade Police Director Juan Perez. “We found that car right away, short pursuit and got them in custody, as well.”

Williams-Bell and two teenagers, ages 15 and 17, were taken into custody.

At a hearing Wednesday at the Children’s Courthouse, the 17-year-old youngster was ordered to have no contact with the victim. He is being held in secure detention for 21 days and will have another hearing at 9 a.m. on October 11th.

CBS4’s Peter D’Oench tried to speak with his mother after the hearing but she had nothing to say and ran to a waiting car.

Pernell, who turns 14-years-old on Thursday, was taken to the hospital – listed in stable condition.

This was the second shooting of a teen on Tuesday.

An 18-year-old was shot just before 9 p.m. at NW 6th Avenue and NW 57th Street. The victim’s condition is unknown.

Despite ongoing efforts to stop community gun violence, two more teenagers were shot overnight. Our prayers are with them. #EnoughIsEnough

— Alberto M. Carvalho (@MiamiSup) September 21, 2016

Tuesday’s shootings brings the total number of teens shot in the last week to eight.

Earlier in the week, six teens were shot at a Sweet 16 party in South Miami Heights. Three people; 20-year-old Travonte L. Berry, 18-year-old Dontavious Byrd and 18-year-old Michael C. Melon have been charged with attempted murder in that shooting.

Police reiterated the notion that curbing violence falls directly on the community.

“Unfortunately, we find ourselves now regularly having to deal with a shooting where a juvenile is either the victim or the subject,” said Det. Marjorie Eloi. “We are asking the members of the community that if they see something, to contact us.”

More from Peter D'Oench
Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Miami

Fired Up For The #FinsOn4
Weather Forecast 24/7
Check Your Pro Football Challenge Results

Listen Live