MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The governor’s office announced late Friday evening the Miami Beach Zika zone has been expanded.
The Florida Department of Health (DOH) is expanding the area of local transmission in Miami Beach from 8th Street to 63rd Street.
Health officials believe the active transmission of the Zika virus is occurring is around 4.5-square miles.
According to CBS News, the expanded Zika zone is because of a new “cluster” of cases that stem from a Labor Day party. Shortly after the party, the host and four guests started to exhibit symptoms. They were tested for Zika and results were positive.
Of the five new cases, the DOH said two males and three females were infected. No word on if any of the women are pregnant.
One of the cases had already been announced by the DOH earlier this week and was under a normal investigation process. The investigations of the other four were completed Friday.
The total number of non-travel related cases associated with this expanded impacted area on Miami Beach is 35.
Gov. Rick Scott issued a statement on the expansion of the zone. It read, in part:
“While we’ve learned that we’re expanding the impacted area in Miami Beach, the good news is that we expect to lift the zone in Wynwood on Monday because of our aggressive mosquito control measures, outreach to the community, education efforts and the vigilant actions of the residents and businesses in Wynwood.”
So as the the Miami Zika zone grows, the Wynwood one is set to expire.
The news comes after Gov. Scott authorized an additional $10 million in state funds for Zika response.
Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez also released a statement, which read, in part:
“The fact that we are finding Zika-positive mosquito pools in Miami Beach is not unexpected considering that there is active local transmission. That is why we must continue our aggressive and proactive approach to controlling the mosquito population in order to break the cycle of transmission… These numbers tend to fluctuate, but we are seeing a similar mosquito-reduction pattern in Miami Beach to what we saw in Wynwood after we began a similar aggressive protocol. It is still early in the treatment cycle in Miami Beach, and we will continue to monitor the mosquito trap data as we implement our next two cycles of aerial spraying in combination with larvicide treatment by truck through the end of September.”
Miami Beach Commissioner Michael Grieco said there is no plan to expand of aerial spraying.
PER COUNTY: Intention is no expansion of aerial spraying north of 28th street. will continue aggressive ground inspections and treatment
— Michael C. Grieco (@Mike_Grieco) September 17, 2016