ORLANDO (CBSMiami) – Top federal health officials and Florida’s governor spent part of their day making sure residents across state, and the rest of the nation, have the very latest information on Zika.
Gov. Rick Scott continued his tour around Florida updating concerned residents about the Zika Virus.
Tuesday, he stopped in Orlando.
“There are no non-travel related cases in Orange County or Central Florida,” he said at another roundtable discussion.
The governor is using his roundtable discussions to try to coordinate local attack plans.
So far, he’s pledged more than $26 million to fight the mosquito-borne virus.
“This is something we can win,” he reassured everyone.
Federal health officials are turning to social media to try to calm fears.
Dr. Anthony Fauci from the National Institute of Health was asked on Twitter if pregnant women can use bug spray.
“Insect repellent, including those that have DEET up to 30 percent, is safe for pregnant women throughout the pregnancy and it is highly encouraged for women to use it,” Dr. Fauci said.
More than 40 cases of non-travel related Zika have been found in the Miami area, and at least one infection was discovered in Pinellas County near Tampa.
“Many states are at risk so we want people to use insect repellent religiously,” recommended Dr. Anne Schucat, who works for the CDC.
In the Florida Department of Health’s daily Zika press release, there were 16 new travel related cases. There were five in Miami-Dade, three in Palm Beach, two in Broward, two in Orange, one in Polk and three involving pregnant women.
As for new non-travel related cases, there were three in Miami-Dade County. One of the cases is associated with the Miami-Beach investigation.
There have been no reported cases of Zika in Orlando, but Florida’s theme parks are taking no chances.
Free insect repellent is now available for visitors to Disney, Universal Orlando and Sea World.