FLORIDA KEYS (CBSMiami) – Truck tailgates have become a new target for thieves in South Florida.
The nationwide epidemic has now spread into the Keys according to Monroe County officials.
Detectives are warning the public and offering a simple solution: lock the tailgate.
According to officials, an experienced thief can steal a tailgate in a matter of seconds. Locking it deters the thief, who usually looks for an easy target.
Other ways of preventing tailgate thefts include parking in a locked garage or parking in reverse with the tailgate up against a structure.
In a report from the National Insurance Crime Bureau, tailgate thefts have risen by 31 percent between 2012 and 2013.
- One Dead, Two Wounded In Early Morning Miami Gardens Shooting
- 5 Dead As SUV Chased By Border Patrol Crashes In South Texas
- Police Identify Victim Of Deadly Drive-By Shooting In Miami Gardens
- Former Trump Operative Roger Stone Met With Russian Who Wanted $2M For Clinton Dirt
- Trump Again Falsely Blames Democrats For Administration’s Family Separations