FLORIDA KEYS (CBSMiami) – Truck tailgates have become a new target for thieves in South Florida.
The nationwide epidemic has now spread into the Keys according to Monroe County officials.
Detectives are warning the public and offering a simple solution: lock the tailgate.
According to officials, an experienced thief can steal a tailgate in a matter of seconds. Locking it deters the thief, who usually looks for an easy target.
Other ways of preventing tailgate thefts include parking in a locked garage or parking in reverse with the tailgate up against a structure.
In a report from the National Insurance Crime Bureau, tailgate thefts have risen by 31 percent between 2012 and 2013.
- Lawyer: $500K Bond Excessive For Shooting Suspect’s Brother, Wants Him Released
- Stoneman Douglas Students Head To D.C. For March For Our Lives
- Tribal Court Rules Infant Taken From Baptist Hospital Be Returned To Parents
- Former Playboy Model Says Trump Tried To Pay Her After Sex
- Road Closed By FIU Bridge Collapse Expected To Reopen This Weekend