MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A man was airlifted to the hospital after he was shot in the parking lot of a northeast Miami-Dade Kmart.
The shooting happened around 1 a.m. in the store’s parking lot at Biscayne Boulevard and NE 107th Street.
Police said, Daniel Martinez, 19, and Samuel Kontorosvky, 18, drove into a parking lot in a stolen vehicle.
That’s when Martinez tried to steal another vehicle while Kontorosvky acted as a lookout, police said.
Also, police added that during the attempted car theft, an armed man began firing his weapon at the two men.
Those two men fled in the original stolen vehicle, according to officers.
As Martinez was fleeing, police said he was shot in the back and lost control of the vehicle crashing into a tree.
Martinez then ran to a nearby home for help, according to officers, while Kontorosvky stayed at the scene to get help from police.
Martinez was taken to Jackson Memporial Hospital where he is in stable condition.
The driver, whose name has not been released, was shot in the head. He managed to drive a short distance before crashing into a tree. He and another person from the car then ran to a nearby home to get help. The three other people who were in the car left before police arrived.
The injured man was taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital, no word on his condition.
Police have not released a motive for the shooting.
- Arrest Made After Woman Is Mugged, Pistol-Whipped On Miami Beach
- Arrest Made In Dairy Farm Abuse Case As Sheriff Takes Swipe At Activist Who Exposed Case
- Police: Man Claiming To Be HIV Positive Sneaks On Airport Runway, Spits On Arresting Officer
- Loved Ones Gather To Mourn Loss Of High School Basketball Star Killed In Overtown
- Jameis Winston Denies Accusations Of Groping Uber Driver