FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) – MCaleb Hernandez found out that a little curiosity plus a little hole equals big trouble, after he nearly lost his finger.
A hole in a metal bed post was just big enough for the 12-year-old to wiggle his pinky finger through Wednesday night.
“The way they drilled the hole, it’s jagged on the other side,” said Hernandez. “I couldn’t get it out.”
After three or four painful tugs, and help from his brother and mom, fire fighters were called to the Fort Lauderdale home.
They took the bed frame apart, and tried every oil, soap, and ice to free the finger.
When that failed, the 12-year-old was taken to the emergency room where stumped doctors and nurses said they might have to cut off the finger.
“I was trying to keep it as a joke because I didn’t want to scare him,” said Irelys Uzcatguy, Hernandez’s mother. “We were joking about him having nine more other fingers.”
Losing a finger wasn’t an option for firefighters. They worked for two hours, to pull apart the stubborn metal with hand tools, finally opening up just enough space to free the bloody finger.
The fire department said it took two hours because fire fighters couldn’t use metal electrical tools. Metal on metal creates friction and could have burned Hernandez. Fire fighters used hand tools and a lot of elbow grease to free the pinky.
- Trump Administration Ending Temporary Protection Status For Haitians
- Mother Testifies Against Son On Trial For Double Murder Of Wilton Manors Couple
- Famed ‘Stickman’ Brings Unique Art Installation To Pinecrest Gardens
- Ankle Monitor, Home Detention For Child Accused Of Stealing Car
- 12-Year-Old Boy Airlifted To Hospital After Being Hit By Car In Margate