MIAMI (CBSMiami) – A botched burglary of dirt bike ended with a man being shot in south Miami-Dade Tuesday morning.
Just before 4 a.m., police were called to a residence at 4201 SW 99th Court to check out reports of a shooting.
When they arrived they found 24-year old Andres Jose Fernandez suffering from a gunshot wound, according to police spokesman Det. Alvaro Zabaleta.
According to witnesses, Fernandez heard a noise outside the home, grabbed a gun and went outside to see what was going on. There he found three men man in their 20s trying to steal his dirt bike and other stuff. Fernandez confronted one of the men and the two struggled.
“Witnesses are telling us they did hear noises in the area surrounding house,” said Zabaleta. “There was a physical altercation, they started struggling for the gun, the gun went off, striking the victim.”
“I heard three or four shots,” said neighbor Julia Rodriguez.
The trio ran off as a second person came out of the home and started shooting at them.
Police said they don’t know if any of the would-be robbers were hit. Neighbors, like Rodriguez, said she was scared when she heard the gunfire.
“Sure, if you heard shots fired you’re afraid,” said Rodriguez.
Fernandez, who was struck by a bullet in the leg, was taken to the hospital and is expected to be okay.
- Ultra In Full Swing In Downtown Miami, Traffic Diverted
- South Florida Business Tycoon H. Wayne Huizenga Dies At 80
- “I Will Never Sign A Bill Like This Again” Trump After Signing Spending Bill
- As Students Head To DC, Parkland Park Prepped For Saturday’s March
- ‘Enough Is Enough’: Thousands Descend On DC To “March For Our Lives”