TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/AP) – A record setting 24 million people visited Florida last spring.
That’s a three percent jump in the second quarter compared to a year ago.
Visit Florida, the state’s tourism marketing arm, estimates that the record number includes 2.8 million visitors from overseas and 1 million Canadians.
Governor Rick Scott has pushed to increase spending on Visit Florida advertising to try to boost the state’s tourism industry. This current fiscal year the state set aside $74 million for the effort.
Last year nearly 95 million people visited the state. Scott wants to boost that number to 100 million even though legislators did not increase funding for Visit Florida as much as he wanted.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Amy Schumer Exudes Confidence In New Comedy “I Feel Pretty”
- Love For The Sea Led This Hero Among Us To Join Navy
- Nationwide Student Walkout Friday In Push For Safer Schools
- Friends, Family Gather For Vigil To Remember Teen Killed While Riding Bicycle
- Comey Memos Detail Trump’s Comments On Russia, Reservations About Flynn