FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) – A man detectives said kidnapped and raped a woman nearly 30-years ago appeared in court Monday.
Dobie Hunter was arrested Friday and charged with sexual assault.
According to the Broward Sheriff’s Office Special Victim’s Unit, detectives received a call from a woman looking for some peace-of-mind last fall.
She told dectectives she was kidnapped and raped repeatedly by two men in 1985 and wanted to know if modern technology could assist with making an arrest.
Detective Michele McCardle pieced together the evidence in the case and even found the victim’s rape kit and sent it to BSO’s Crime Lab for testing.
McCardle said technicians received a match Hunter.
BSO said the crime took place in the Rock Island area of Fort Lauderdale. The arrest report said Hunter had threatened to kill the victim’s family if she told about the crime.
Florida prison records show Hunter is a registered sexual offender, who’s been in prison for sexual battery three times since 1987.
He had been living as a transient sexual offender on the streets of Broward County prior to his arrest.
Detectives now want to know if Hunter is connected to any other unsolved cases.
BSO says there is a second suspect in this case and if you know anything about the attack from 1985, you are urged to call Broward Crime Stoppers at (954) 493-TIPS.
- Three People Arrested After Trying To Steal From Best Buy Using Empty Baby Stroller
- Sen. Rubio A ‘No’ In Republican Tax Plan, Unless Some Things Change
- FCC Votes To Repeal Net Neutrality Rules, What It Means For You
- GOP Could Reveal Final Version Of Tax Plan As Early As Friday
- City Of Coconut Creek Releases Information On Officers Involved In Deadly Chase