‘Turtles’ Tops Weak Debut For ‘Expendables 3’
In To Be Out: Gay Celebrities
MIAMI (AP) — Moviegoers continued to shell out for “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” while Sylvester Stallone’s “The Expendables 3” was easily out-gunned in its weekend debut.
The rebooted reptiles took in $28.4 million in its second weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday. That far surpassed the $16.2 million earned by Stallone’s gang of aged warriors.
The paltry, fourth-place total for “The Expendables 3,” a PG-13 turn for the previously R-rated action franchise, is well below previous hauls. The last two “Expendables” opened with $34.8 million and $28.6 million.
Instead, the Marvel’s “The Guardians of the Galaxy” came in second with $24.7 million in its third weekend. The buddy comedy “Let’s Be Cops” landed in third with a $17.7 million opening.
The Lois Lowry adaption “The Giver” debuted with $12.8 million.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Bob Saget To Appear In Broadway Play ‘Hand To God’
- Exclusive: Hillary Talks Politics, Marc Anthony & Women
- Science Sells: ‘The Martian’ Lands With $55 Million Debut
- Broward County’s 100th Birthday To Be Celebrated With Theatrical Extravaganza
- Keira Knightley’s Broadway Debut Interrupted By Man, Flowers