MIAMI BEACH (CBSMiami) — The Coast Guard offloaded nearly $800,000 worth of marijuana on Saturday morning.
Crews unloaded 900 pounds at the Base in Miami Beach after officials from Customs and Border Protection had intercepted the contraband off the coast of Cap Du Mole, Haiti.
They had spotted a go-fast vessel on Tuesday evening and launched their their small boat crew to investigate.
Once the smugglers saw the Coast Guard, they threw the bales of the contraband overboard and left.
The crew chased the boat for five hours but they were unable to catch up to them, so the boat got away but they were able to recover the cargo from the water.
- Exclusive: Pilots Describe Moments Before Crash Landing In Waters Off Haulover Beach
- South Carolina Primary Make Or Break For GOP Candidate Jeb Bush
- Trump Holds Campaign Rally In Tampa
- Exclusive: FIU Med Student Describes Getting Zika Virus Weeks Before Outbreak
- Second Arrest Made After Shooting Outside Carol City High