MIAMI BEACH (CBSMiami) — The Coast Guard offloaded nearly $800,000 worth of marijuana on Saturday morning.
Crews unloaded 900 pounds at the Base in Miami Beach after officials from Customs and Border Protection had intercepted the contraband off the coast of Cap Du Mole, Haiti.
They had spotted a go-fast vessel on Tuesday evening and launched their their small boat crew to investigate.
Once the smugglers saw the Coast Guard, they threw the bales of the contraband overboard and left.
The crew chased the boat for five hours but they were unable to catch up to them, so the boat got away but they were able to recover the cargo from the water.
- Miami Beach Makes Changes In Wake Of Deadly Barcelona Attack
- Police: Burger King Brawl Turns Into Shooting Near Bird Road
- Rep. Wasserman Schultz Distancing Herself From IT Staffer Facing Bank Fraud Charges
- Hurricane Andrew: A Look Back 25 Years Later
- Strong Words From Judge After Parents Arrested In Raid At Suspected Marijuana Grow House