MIAMI BEACH (CBSMiami) — The Coast Guard offloaded nearly $800,000 worth of marijuana on Saturday morning.
Crews unloaded 900 pounds at the Base in Miami Beach after officials from Customs and Border Protection had intercepted the contraband off the coast of Cap Du Mole, Haiti.
They had spotted a go-fast vessel on Tuesday evening and launched their their small boat crew to investigate.
Once the smugglers saw the Coast Guard, they threw the bales of the contraband overboard and left.
The crew chased the boat for five hours but they were unable to catch up to them, so the boat got away but they were able to recover the cargo from the water.
- VIDEO: Man Jumps Off Pier To Save Drowning Woman In Sunny Isles Beach
- Obama Not Ready To Declare Clinton Nominee But Hints At Sanders’ Slim Chance
- Job In Jeopardy For Sweetwater Cop Accused Of Crash Cover-Up
- Man Who Tossed Alligator Into Drive-Thru Now Throwing Self To Court’s Mercy
- 5-Year Old Injured In Dade Jet Ski Accident