PORT ST. LUCIE (CBSMiami) – When cats began disappearing in Port St. Lucie, many residents were concerned.
Turns out, they had a good reason to be worried.
A massive python was feasting on the cats.
Police were called to find the 12-foot-long, 120 pound Burmese python in a bush next to a dead cat.
The snake was wrangled up.
Pythons are an invasive species in South Florida and have been taking over the Everglades.
Biologists are concerned they could wipe out an entire ecosystem if not gotten under control quickly.
- Family, Community Join In Procession For Marlins Ace Jose Fernandez
- Tropical Storm Matthew Forms In Caribbean
- Marco Rubio Seeking Safety Probe Into Jetty Where Fernandez Crashed
- Deal Reached To Keep U.S. Government Running, Provide Zika Aid
- Jose Fernandez Fans Say Their Final Farewells