PITTSBURGH (AP) — Edinson Volquez pitched one-hit ball for seven innings, Gregory Polanco drove in four runs and the Pittsburgh Pirates beat the Miami Marlins 7-2 Thursday.
Marlins reliever Dan Jennings was hit in the head by a line drive off the bat of Jordy Mercer in the seventh. Jennings momentarily stumbled before going to his knees after the play.
The Marlins’ medical staff checked Jennings. The pitcher stood up to get in a cart and held up a hand to acknowledge the crowd as he was driven off the field.
Volquez (9-7) didn’t allow a hit until the fifth, when Donovan Solano singled with one out.
Volquez struck out seven batters and walked three.
Rookie Brian Flynn (0-1) was chased before he got an out in the fifth.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Nationwide Rallies Call For Climate Justice & Clean Energy Economy
- Touching Tribute To Local Veterans During Honor Flight South Florida
- Disturbing Sex Trend ‘Stealthing’ Raising Legal & Ethical Concerns
- Exclusive: Angry Mom Demands Justice After Daughter’s Encounter With Miami Cop
- BSO: Murder Charge For Man Who Slammed Baby’s Head Against Bedpost