MIAMI (CBSMiami) — The former mayor of Hialeah, Julio Martinez, is in critical condition Wednesday after being involved in a serious accident while helping a friend change a tire on I-95.
According to El Nuevo Herald, Martinez was rushed to Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital on Monday after a man lost control of his black Honda Accord. The car slammed into the friends Dodge Ram which in turn hit Martinez’s red Mercedes.
The impact threw Martinez several feet away onto the pavement. Martinez was between his car and that of his friend’s at the time of the accident.
His wife Xiomara Martinez told the paper he underwent surgery on Monday and Tuesday. She said she is asking the community to pray for his recovery.
The person driving the Honda was identified as Joseph Domenic Leo of West Palm Beach.
Martinez’s friend George Morffiz was also taken to the hospital but discharged the same day.
Martinez held the title of Hialeah mayor from 1990 to 1993.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. CBS4 news partner El Nuevo Herald contributed material for this report.)
- Two Arrested In Separate Voter Fraud Cases In Miami-Dade County
- FBI Reviewing Clinton Emails In Light Of New Info
- Election Fraud Adds Fuel To Miami-Dade Mayoral Race
- Decision Made In Broward’s Missing Marijuana Ballot Question
- Ballot Breakdown: Broward Voters Decide If To Pay Up A Penny For Projects