TAMPA (CBSMiami/AP) – A Florida man who tossed a 3-month old boy out of a moving car, killing him, was sentenced to life in prison.
Following a jury’s recommendation, a Hillsborough County judge sentenced 26-year-old Richard McTear on Tuesday. Jurors found him guilty last week of first-degree murder, kidnapping, battery and aggravated child abuse charges. Prosecutors had been seeking the death penalty.
Authorities said McTear attacked ex-girlfriend Jasmine Bedwell in 2009 and then took off with her son, Emanuel Wesley Murray. He then threw the baby out of a car window on Interstate 275 in Tampa.
The child was found dead along the side of the highway.
Defense attorneys argued that McTear was innocent and questioned the mother’s credibility.
A previous court proceeding against McTear ended in a mistrial.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Passengers Injured In Turbulence, Diverted To Ft. Lauderdale
- Camera Catches Thief Linked To 3 Car Burglaries, Including Marked Police SUV
- Bank Robbery Suspect Caught On I-95 In Deerfield Beach
- 16 Residents Displaced After Lightning Strike Sets Complex On Fire
- Publix Issues Recall For Wheatberry Salad Over Listeria Concerns