ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (CBSMiami/AP) — The woman who intentionally ran over two people with her SUV, killing one, has been given a 50-year prison sentence.
The St. Augustine Record reports that 25-year-old Candace Jackson was sentenced Thursday in a St. Johns County courthouse.
Jackson, who was on probation for domestic battery at the time, ran her SUV into girlfriend Shaina Armstrong and her mother, Rosa Lee Armstrong.
Rosa Lee died and Shaina injured.
Jackson was convicted of murder, attempted murder and aggravated battery, but argued at her sentencing that it was all an accident.
But prosecutors argued that she had accelerated during the crash and cited her history of domestic violence.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Judge Orders Confessed School Shooter’s Brother To Stay Away From Broward
- Two Stoneman Douglas Students Arrested For Bringing Weapons To School
- Preps Underway Across South Florida For Saturday’s ‘March For Our Lives’
- Second Lawsuit Filed In Miami Bridge Collapse
- Following Latest Arrest At Stoneman Douglas, Parents Concern Continues To Grow