LOS ANGELES (AP) — “Guardians of the Galaxy” blasted past expectations at the weekend box office.
Studio estimates Sunday show Marvel’s cosmic romp starring Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana as members of an intergalactic band of mercenaries earned $94 million in its debut weekend.
Box office analysts initially projected the comic book adaptation would earn between $60 million and $75 million in North America.
The launch shatters the record for the biggest opening of a film in August and makes “Guardians” the third largest opening in 2014.
“Guardians” distributor Disney says the film hauled in an additional $66.4 million in international territories.
Marvel announced at Comic-Con in San Diego earlier this month that a “Guardians” sequel will be released in 2017.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Justin Bieber Ordered To Miami For Paparazzi Lawsuit
- Ex-Concert Promoter Faces Prison In $200 Million Fraud
- Disney To Make Live-Action ‘Lion King,’ Favreau Directing
- TOTT: Warm & Tasty Is The Name Of The Game At Halves & Wholes
- Jose Fernandez The Greatest ‘30 For 30’ Never Told? Filmmaker Wants To Change That