OPA LOCKA (CBSMiami) — Trayvon Martin’s parents gave students a helping hand and a back pack filled with supplies on Saturday.
Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin helped hand out hundreds of book bags with supplies to Miami-Dade and Broward County students ranging from Pre-kindergarten through high school.
The event was part of the annual Back To School Extravaganza hosted by the The Trayvon Martin Foundation along with other local businesses.
According to the group, the event was meant to empower children to start the school year with confidence.
Trayvon Martin, 17, was killed in Sanford, in February 2012. George Zimmerman was acquitted in his shooting death last summer.
- Shooting Suspect Seeks Acquittal After Witness Is Gunned Down
- On Warm Miami Beach Mayors Talk Global Warming
- Police Host Pets For National Bring Your Pet To Work Day
- Report: Jeb Bush Back In Bid For Marlins; Jeter Seeks New Investors
- ‘She Really Didn’t Deserve This’: Teen Mom In Coma After Road Rage Shooting