MIAMI (AP) — Mat Latos pitched seven strong innings, Ryan Ludwick drove in two runs, and the Cincinnati Reds beat the Miami Marlins 5-2 on Friday night.
Latos (3-3), who hails from nearby Coconut Creek, beat the Marlins for the first time in eight career starts. He allowed one run on five hits and four walks while striking out five.
Aroldis Chapman got the last three gouts for his 25th save in 27 chances.
Marlins All-Star slugger Giancarlo Stanton homered in his third consecutive game to give him a National League-best 26. Jarred Cosart (0-1) gave up four runs and four hits in 5 1-3 innings in his Marlins debut one day after being acquired from Houston.
Miami has lost three straight after winning six in a row.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Marlins Chen Has Solid Spring But Home Runs Remain An Issue
- US Claims First WBC Title With 8-0 Rout Of Puerto Rico
- US Edges Japan 2-1, Advances To WBC Championship Game
- Stanton’s Homer, Jones’ Amazing Catch Send US Into WBC Semifinals
- VOTE: (2) 1997 Florida Marlins vs. (3) 2011-12 Miami Heat