MIAMI (CBSMiami) — Port Miami Tunnel is scheduled to open Monday morning, according to sources.
The tunnel is scheduled to open at 7:00 a.m. for drivers.
Earlier this month, an opening date had not been in stone but officials said the tunnel was expected to open around August 1st after they had already delayed the opening two months ago.
Two major reasons for the delay was the fiberglass pipe that was originally put in had cracked causing leaks.
There was also cracks in two fans so all 44 were taken out and x-rayed. As of July 16th, half of the new fans were put in place with 22 more to go.
There was fanfare for the opening of the tunnel two months ago, but as of July 16th, the contractor, was being fined and paying MAT Consorsium $115,000 a day. This means two months of delays equals 6 million in fines as of July 2014.
- Calusa Residents Tee’d Off Over Developer’s Plans For Golf Course
- Police: Woman Faked Her Own Abduction To Spite Boyfriend
- Feds: Sandy Hook Hoaxer Threatens Parent Of Dead Child
- Female Robbers Target Unsuspecting Victims Near Banks
- Study Shows Positive Thinking Can Prolong Your Life