DANIA BEACH (CBSMiami) – Police are gathering more information Tuesday after dozens of cars were broken into by thieves apparently targeting identity information.
At least 40 cars, according to Broward Sheriff’s Office, were broken into in Dania Beach.
The Sheridan Lakes Apartments, Meadowbrook Lakes Community, and the Best Western Hotel on Stirling Road, were all hit, police said.
Tuesday morning, many residents in Meadowbrook Lakes woke up to shattered glass in the parking lot. Residents say roughly two dozen cars in their community were broken into.
Sharon, a resident who lives in the building but did not want to share her last name in this report, was upset over the break-ins.
“I’m aggravated, its very upsetting,” said Sharon. “I feel that violation thing that everybody talks about. I just think how dare you and for what? Thirty seconds worth of nothing? Absolutely nothing. Zero,” she said.
Thieves may not have found anything they were looking for inside Sharon’s car, but in many other cars investigators say thieves overlooked the typical items stolen—like electronics. Instead, it appears thieves went for paperwork in the glove compartments—which explains why only passenger windows were broken.
Investigators said that thieves will often steal paperwork for personal information in hopes of stealing the victim’s identity.
- Trump Announces New US Strategy In Afghanistan: ‘We’re Not Nation Building, We’re Killing Terrorists’
- Vice President Pence To Make Stop In Doral To Talk Venezuela
- Millions Who Hit The Road For Total Solar Eclipse Experience Spectacular Celestial Show
- 6 People Taken To Hospital After Car Slams Into School Van, Flipping It Over
- Court’s Mea Culpa Doesn’t Halt Execution