MIAMI (AP) — Luc Besson’s “Lucy” proved mind can overpower muscle, topping a remake of “Hercules” by director Brett Ratner at the box office on the weekend.
According to studio estimates Sunday, the Universal Pictures-released movie starring Scarlett Johansson as an accidental psychokinetic took in $44 million in North American movie theaters over the weekend.
“Hercules,” starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and produced by Paramount Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, brought down an estimated $29 million.
Universal’s president of domestic distribution, Nikki Rocco, says audiences came out for the unique story and to see Johansson in a leading action role.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Take A Digital Bite Out Of Planta’s Coconut Ceviche
- Cat Clings To Roof Of Owner’s Van On Expressway
- YouTube Star Bethany Mota Stars On Undercover Boss: Celebrity Edition
- Officials: Harvey Weinstein To Surrender In Sexual Misconduct Probe
- Actor Morgan Freeman Accused Of Inappropriate Behavior