‘Lucy’ Tops ‘Hercules’ With $44M At Box Office
MIAMI (AP) — Luc Besson’s “Lucy” proved mind can overpower muscle, topping a remake of “Hercules” by director Brett Ratner at the box office on the weekend.
According to studio estimates Sunday, the Universal Pictures-released movie starring Scarlett Johansson as an accidental psychokinetic took in $44 million in North American movie theaters over the weekend.
“Hercules,” starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and produced by Paramount Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, brought down an estimated $29 million.
Universal’s president of domestic distribution, Nikki Rocco, says audiences came out for the unique story and to see Johansson in a leading action role.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dueling Narratives Surround ‘Suge’ Knight In Deadly Run-In
- Ex-Rap Mogul ‘Suge’ Knight Arrested In Deadly Hit-And-Run
- Katy Perry On Super Bowl Halftime Show: ‘Jaws Will Drop And Faces Will Melt’
- ACM Award Nominations: Full List of 2015 Nominees
- This Week: Madonna Loves Swift & Blink-182 Loses A Member