‘Lucy’ Tops ‘Hercules’ With $44M At Box Office
MIAMI (AP) — Luc Besson’s “Lucy” proved mind can overpower muscle, topping a remake of “Hercules” by director Brett Ratner at the box office on the weekend.
According to studio estimates Sunday, the Universal Pictures-released movie starring Scarlett Johansson as an accidental psychokinetic took in $44 million in North American movie theaters over the weekend.
“Hercules,” starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and produced by Paramount Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, brought down an estimated $29 million.
Universal’s president of domestic distribution, Nikki Rocco, says audiences came out for the unique story and to see Johansson in a leading action role.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sensation Of ‘Dope’ Continues At Cannes Film Festival
- The Week: Thank You’s For Letterman & Taylor Swift’s ‘Bad Blood’
- Letterman’s Final Show: The Internet Thanks A Legend
- SeaWorld Orlando Raises Ticket Prices
- Fresh American Bistro Puts A French Twist On Classics