‘Lucy’ Tops ‘Hercules’ With $44M At Box Office
MIAMI (AP) — Luc Besson’s “Lucy” proved mind can overpower muscle, topping a remake of “Hercules” by director Brett Ratner at the box office on the weekend.
According to studio estimates Sunday, the Universal Pictures-released movie starring Scarlett Johansson as an accidental psychokinetic took in $44 million in North American movie theaters over the weekend.
“Hercules,” starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and produced by Paramount Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, brought down an estimated $29 million.
Universal’s president of domestic distribution, Nikki Rocco, says audiences came out for the unique story and to see Johansson in a leading action role.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Vin Diesel Says Oscars Weighted Against Action Films
- ‘The Talk’s’ Sheryl Underwood Making Laughs In South Florida
- This Week: Zayn Malik Leave One Direction & Angelina Jolie’s Smart Move
- Locals, Tourists To Gather For Concert Celebrating 100 Years Of Miami Beach
- James Corden’s ‘Late Late Show’ Social Media Pitch Speaks On Digital Age