MIAMI (AP) — Luc Besson’s “Lucy” proved mind can overpower muscle, topping a remake of “Hercules” by director Brett Ratner at the box office on the weekend.
According to studio estimates Sunday, the Universal Pictures-released movie starring Scarlett Johansson as an accidental psychokinetic took in $44 million in North American movie theaters over the weekend.
“Hercules,” starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and produced by Paramount Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, brought down an estimated $29 million.
Universal’s president of domestic distribution, Nikki Rocco, says audiences came out for the unique story and to see Johansson in a leading action role.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Excited Fans Flock To Aventura Mall For Special ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Event
- First Tiger Cubs Born At Disney’s Animal Kingdom Make Debut
- Disney Is Buying Most Of 21st Century Fox For $52.4 Billion
- ‘Jonathan’s Day’ Rescheduled For January 20th In Palmetto Bay
- Ghee Indian Kitchen Is All About Traditional Food With A Twist