MIAMI (AP) — Luc Besson’s “Lucy” proved mind can overpower muscle, topping a remake of “Hercules” by director Brett Ratner at the box office on the weekend.
According to studio estimates Sunday, the Universal Pictures-released movie starring Scarlett Johansson as an accidental psychokinetic took in $44 million in North American movie theaters over the weekend.
“Hercules,” starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and produced by Paramount Pictures and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, brought down an estimated $29 million.
Universal’s president of domestic distribution, Nikki Rocco, says audiences came out for the unique story and to see Johansson in a leading action role.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Legal Team Says ‘Bachelor’ Star Acted Reasonably After Crash
- Interview: Dr. Travis Stork On How To Treat Addiction And Embrace Your Flaws
- Taste Of The Town: Old School Italy Has Arrived At This Miami Beach Eatery
- Surprise! Johnny Depp Appears As Jack Sparrow On Disney Ride
- ‘Survivor’ Castoff Debbie Speaks In Post-Elimination Interview