Stanton, Valdespin Power Marlins Over Astros 7-3
HOUSTON (AP) — Giancarlo Stanton hit a three-run double, and Jordany Valdespin added a two-run home run to power the Miami Marlins to a 7-3 victory over the Houston Astros on Saturday night.
Stanton’s double in the second inning broke a 2-2 tie. Christian Yelich had two hits, including an RBI single as part of the four-run frame. Valdespin hit his first homer of the season in the ninth off Chad Qualls.
Tom Koehler (7-7) gave up three runs and nine hits with two strikeouts in five innings.
Jason Castro had two hits, including a two-run home run in the first that put the Astros up 2-1. Jose Altuve added three hits for Houston, which lost its fourth straight and fell a season-high 20 games below .500 (42-62).
Astros starter Jarred Cosart (9-7) allowed five runs and seven hits with four strikeouts and four walks in 5 2-3 innings.
- Marlins Announce Ichiro Re-Signing, Jennings Return To GM And More
- Another Long Offseason In Store For Underachieving Marlins
- Watch: Ichiro Suzuki Pitch in Marlins Finale
- Dee Gordon Claims NL Batting Title In Marlins Loss
- Marlins Go For Season-Ending Sweep Of Phillies