MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) – One man was killed, two other people injured, in a lightning strike on Ft. Myers Beach.
The Lee County Sheriff’s Office says a man was walking with a woman and another man Tuesday afternoon when the lightning bolt struck. The strike apparently killed him instantly. The other man and woman were taken to the hospital.
Witnesses say they heard a loud cracking sound when the lightning struck.
According to local media reports, the storm was so intense that rescue workers had to stay in their vehicles for some time after the strike.
Deputies say the woman was walking and talking before being taken to the hospital.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Ultra In Full Swing In Downtown Miami, Traffic Diverted
- South Florida Business Tycoon H. Wayne Huizenga Dies At 80
- “I Will Never Sign A Bill Like This Again” Trump After Signing Spending Bill
- As Students Head To DC, Parkland Park Prepped For Saturday’s March
- ‘Enough Is Enough’: Thousands Descend On DC To “March For Our Lives”