Weston BSO Office Becomes Safe Haven For Online Transactions
South Florida Crime
WESTON (CBSMiami) – Beginning Tuesday, the Broward Sheriff’s Office Weston location will serve as a safe haven for online buyers and sellers to meet.
The office recommends meetings at a safe haven because of instances where online buyers and sellers have unsuspecting victims of crimes.
For example, deputies said on May 24, Nicolas Gomez, a resident of the city of Weston, made arrangements to meet with a buyer for a used iPhone 5. It was listed for sale on Craigslist.
Abayomi Abimbola arrived at the meeting, but instead of paying for the phone, Abimbola grabbed it, jumped back into his car and fled, said police.
Abimbola was arrested and is facing a charge of grand theft. Abimbola has also been involved in several similar thefts.
Officials ask anyone selling or buying items online to consider not all buyers are legitimate. Whenever possible, meet at a safe haven.
Anyone with information can contact Broward Crime Stoppers anonymously at (954) 493-TIPS.
- Exclusive: Cameras Catch As Angry Doral Alligator Is Apprehended
- Elderly Woman Ejected From SUV In Fatal Hialeah Hit & Run
- Parents Of Kids Allegedly Living In Filthy Home Released From Jail
- 2 Sent To Hospital In Overnight SW Miami-Dade Shooting
- Miami Rum Festival Showcases New Brands On US Market