Weston BSO Office Becomes Safe Haven For Online Transactions
South Florida Crime
WESTON (CBSMiami) – Beginning Tuesday, the Broward Sheriff’s Office Weston location will serve as a safe haven for online buyers and sellers to meet.
The office recommends meetings at a safe haven because of instances where online buyers and sellers have unsuspecting victims of crimes.
For example, deputies said on May 24, Nicolas Gomez, a resident of the city of Weston, made arrangements to meet with a buyer for a used iPhone 5. It was listed for sale on Craigslist.
Abayomi Abimbola arrived at the meeting, but instead of paying for the phone, Abimbola grabbed it, jumped back into his car and fled, said police.
Abimbola was arrested and is facing a charge of grand theft. Abimbola has also been involved in several similar thefts.
Officials ask anyone selling or buying items online to consider not all buyers are legitimate. Whenever possible, meet at a safe haven.
Anyone with information can contact Broward Crime Stoppers anonymously at (954) 493-TIPS.
- Steering You Right Through South Florida’s Road Closures
- Police Investigating Fatal Shooting Near Sunrise Shopping Center
- High-Tech Decision Making Available With New Breed Of Apps
- Judge Recognizes Another Defendant, This Time From A Cruise
- Family, Friends Light Lanterns For Missing Teen Fishermen