FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSmiami/AP) — Another player in former attorney Scott Rothstein’s $1.2 billion Ponzi fraud has faced the music for his role in the scam.
On Monday, former Broward Sheriff’s lieutenant David Benjamin, 48, was sentenced to five years in federal prison after he pleaded guilty to conspiracy.
Court documents show Benjamin was paid about $185,000 for assisting Rothstein in several ways, including having another lawyer’s ex-wife arrested falsely to gain advantage in a child custody fight. Former BSO detective Jeff Poole is being sentenced Thursday after pleaded guilty to civil rights conspiracy in that arrest.
Prosecutors say Benjamin also told other deputies to force a female escort to leave the state when her boyfriend threatened to expose her relationship with Rothstein partner Stuart Rosenfeldt.
Rothstein is serving 50 years in prison.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Video: Group Of 6 Loot Hialeah GameStop During Hurricane Irma
- Phil Collins Ready To ‘Help Young Kids With Ambitions, Dreams’ At Open Music Auditions
- CBS4 Exclusive: Business Owner Says Looters Victimize 32 Metro PCS Stores During Irma
- Rubio, Curbelo Join Paul Ryan On Aerial Tour Of Keys Damage
- Hurricane Maria: Flash Flooding In Puerto Rico, Conditions Deteriorating In Dominican Republic