Alleged Pot Smugglers Caught With 3,500 Pounds Of Drugs
South Florida Crime
SAN JUAN (CBSMiami) — Coast Guard officials seized more than 3,500 pounds of marijuana during a drug interdiction south of Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico in the Caribbean Sea.
The drugs have an estimated $3.5 million wholesale value.
Law enforcement detained five suspected smugglers.
The Coast Guard Cutter Northland reported a suspicious 68-foot vessel An-Nur and found the marijuana onboard.
The Northland handed over the drugs and alleged smugglers to Customs and Border Protection and Federal Bureau of Investigation special agents.
Since October 2013, the Coast Guard has seized 17,591 kilograms of cocaine and 4,341 pounds of marijuana during 25 counter-drug interdictions under Operation Unified Resolve, in partnership with regional law enforcement authorities in the Caribbean. The wholesale value for these seizures is worth more than $444 million.
- Super Bowl Watch Party Buzzing At Mary Brickell Village
- South Florida Flights Cancelled Again Over Snowstorm
- Trial Of Ex-Patriot Aaron Hernandez Delayed By Weather
- Driver Critically Injured In Coral Gables Crash
- Marathon Man Reportedly Caught With Stash Of Pot, Xanax