FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) — Authorities have identified the pilot of a small plane that crashed into the waters off a southwest Florida island.
The Lee County Sheriff’s Office says Gregg Howard of St. Petersburg was flying the plane that crashed Wednesday evening into the Gulf of Mexico off Captiva Island.
The medical examiner concluded that the cause of Howard’s death was drowning.
Howard was alone in the plane when it crashed. Sheriff’s office divers recovered his body from the wreckage.
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- TSA: Record Setting Week For Firearms Recovered At Airport Checkpoints
- Feds Seeking Information From Kushner On Russia Contacts
- South Florida Gets Ready For Influx Of Memorial Day Revelers
- Hollywood City Attorney Charged With DUI One Step Closer To Being Out Of Job
- FPL Shows Off Storm Preparations Ahead Of Hurricane Season