LUBBOCK, Texas (CBSMiami/AP) — A highly regarded Texas Tech defensive back from Miami has been reinstated after he broke a woman’s jaw last month.
Tech athletics spokesman Blayne Beal said Wednesday that Nigel Bethel II will return to the team, but will sit out the first three games of his first season.
“He’s remorseful. He knows that he’s responsible for his actions, that what he did was wrong,” said Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury.
Bethel punched Amber Battle of the Lady Raiders during a June 28th pickup basketball game at the campus recreation center and was dismissed from the football program the next day. However, Lubbock County grand jurors declined to indict Bethel on an aggravated assault charge Tuesday.
Click here to watch Gaby Fleischman’s report.
Coach Kliff Kingsbury said as more information on the incident came to light, the decision to dismiss Bethel was revisited.
Battle, who has acknowledged shoving Bethel first, will sit out games in November.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Dolphins Nominate Mike Pouncey As NFL Man Of The Year Candidate
- Larranaga On Hurricanes: “Offensively We’re A Work In Progress”
- Bokamper On Adam Gase: “This Is A New Era Of The Miami Dolphins”
- After Quick Stop At Home, Heat Begin New Trip In Atlanta
- Thursday Night Breakdown: Raiders, Chiefs Battle For AFC West Lead