MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — Coast Guard officials suspended their search for a diver who went missing off the Bahamas.
U.S. and Bahamian authorities had been searching for John E. Petty of Longview, Texas, since Sunday night. The Coast Guard announced the halt to its search Wednesday afternoon.
Petty was last seen by other divers on a commercial shark diving venture about 20 nautical miles northwest of West End on Grand Bahama island.
Petty was among eight divers in the group. Coast Guard officials say the captain of the commercial dive vessel alerted authorities when Petty failed to resurface.
Petty Officer John-Paul Rios said Wednesday that a “substantial amount” of dive gear had been found within the search area, but it could not be immediately confirmed that the gear belonged to the missing man.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Bacardi Builds Bat Caves At Florida Facility
- Final Senate Debate Between Rubio, Murphy Focuses On Slew Of Issues, Personal Attacks
- New Poll Has Trump Leading Clinton In Florida
- Affidavit States Jose Fernandez, Friends Had Strong Odor Of Alcohol
- Foreign Students Find Hidden Cameras In Miami Beach Apartment