Coast Guard Suspends Search For Texas Diver
MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — Coast Guard officials suspended their search for a diver who went missing off the Bahamas.
U.S. and Bahamian authorities had been searching for John E. Petty of Longview, Texas, since Sunday night. The Coast Guard announced the halt to its search Wednesday afternoon.
Petty was last seen by other divers on a commercial shark diving venture about 20 nautical miles northwest of West End on Grand Bahama island.
Petty was among eight divers in the group. Coast Guard officials say the captain of the commercial dive vessel alerted authorities when Petty failed to resurface.
Petty Officer John-Paul Rios said Wednesday that a “substantial amount” of dive gear had been found within the search area, but it could not be immediately confirmed that the gear belonged to the missing man.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Hit And Runs Rising Across South Florida
- Farrakhan Makes Stop At Overtown Church To Discuss Police Shootings
- Memorial To Be Held For Former Miami-Dade Police Director
- Fire Crews Whisk Cat Out Of Fort Lauderdale House Fire
- 2015 National Urban League Conference Kicks Off In Fort Lauderdale