Two Workers Shocked On The Job In West Kendall
Get Breaking News First
WEST KENDALL (CBSMiami) – Two roofing workers were shocked while on the job when the truck they were using got dangerously close to power lines in West Kendall Monday afternoon.
“We heard a great big explosion. Like a ‘zzzzzzz’,”neighbor Marlene Santovenia said.
She said she ran outside and notice the commotion across the street, at a vacant home on the corner of SW 112 Street and 145 Avenue.
“We saw somebody on the floor. We didn’t really know what was going on. That was like sparking up there on the top. He was screaming in agony on the floor and there was another guy just standing there,” Santovenia said. “I said, ‘What happened? What’s going on?’ He said, ‘I hit the power line’.”
Santovenia was one of several neighbors who said they called 911.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue units were on scene within minutes.
When they arrived the found one man was unconscious and another was injured, but alert.
“Since we’re dealing with that electricity and the equipment that was charged, electrocuting these gentleman, we had to assure there was no threat to our personnel,” Lt. Ryan Townsend said.
Investigators believe the boom on a roof tile transport truck got dangerously close to power lines, sending a current of electricity through the truck, straight down to the tires, leaving them flat.
Char marks remained on the driveway Monday night.
One witness said a worker flew off the boom.
“I imagined the worst,” said truck owner Ilario Cruz. He said the two men who were hurt, Stephen Pender and Jorge Vidal, are hard workers with families to support.
“They got to the hospital in grave condition. But I thank God they are doing much better,” Cruz said.
He thanked the first responders for getting his workers to Kendall Regional Medical Center quickly.
Cruz said he plans to discuss the dangers of power lines with his employees. He admitted he’s seen accidents like this in the past.
Neighbors say the lights in their homes flickered briefly, but power was quickly restored.
But that was the least of their concerns Monday.
“I hope the man on the floor is ok. I hope his family is with him and I hope he’s all right,” Santovenia said.
A property search via the county’s website did not reveal who owns the home.