MIAMI (AP) — “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” thumped its chest at the box office with a $73 million opening weekend.
According to studio estimates Sunday, Fox’s “Planet of the Apes” sequel rode excellent reviews and high anticipation to one of the summer’s best debuts. It easily surpassed the $54.8 million opening to 2011’s “Rise of the Planet of the Apes,” the reboot of the 1970s chimp franchise.
The big opening helped give the summer box office a shot in the arm, but it wasn’t enough to stop an overall downward trend. The weekend’s box office was down nearly 24 percent from the corresponding weekend last year.
After two weeks on top, “Transformers: Age of Extinction” slid to second with $16.5 million. The Melissa McCarthy comedy “Tammy” came in third with $12.9 million.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Set A Date For The Royal Wedding
- Dustin Hoffman Accused Of New Incidents Of Sexual Misconduct
- Excited Fans Flock To Aventura Mall For Special ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Event
- First Tiger Cubs Born At Disney’s Animal Kingdom Make Debut
- Disney Is Buying Most Of 21st Century Fox For $52.4 Billion