MIAMI (AP) — “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” thumped its chest at the box office with a $73 million opening weekend.
According to studio estimates Sunday, Fox’s “Planet of the Apes” sequel rode excellent reviews and high anticipation to one of the summer’s best debuts. It easily surpassed the $54.8 million opening to 2011’s “Rise of the Planet of the Apes,” the reboot of the 1970s chimp franchise.
The big opening helped give the summer box office a shot in the arm, but it wasn’t enough to stop an overall downward trend. The weekend’s box office was down nearly 24 percent from the corresponding weekend last year.
After two weeks on top, “Transformers: Age of Extinction” slid to second with $16.5 million. The Melissa McCarthy comedy “Tammy” came in third with $12.9 million.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Ariete Features Worldly Menu With Comforts Of Home
- “When he read that disadvantage…I knew it was going to hurt me.” ‘Survivor’ Castoff Alan Ball: Post Elimination Q&A
- Perry Goes For The Funny Bone With “Boo 2! A Madea Halloween”
- ‘Surprises: That’s What This Show Is About’: Luke Perry On Season 2 Of ‘Riverdale’
- ‘Ron Is Used To Getting His Way’: Brad Garrett On Butting Heads With Dr. Bull