BRASILIA, BRAZIL (AP) Robin van Persie and Daley Blind scored early goals to help give the Netherlands a 3-0 win over host Brazil in the third-place match at the World Cup on Saturday.
Van Persie converted a penalty kick three minutes into the match after Arjen Robben was brought down by Brazil captain Thiago Silva. Blind added to the lead in the 17th with a shot from near the penalty spot after defender David Luiz made a mistake while trying to clear a cross in front of the goal. Georginio Wijnaldum rounded off the win in injury time.
With the result, the Netherlands finishes a World Cup unbeaten in regular play for the first time. It lost to Argentina on penalties in the semifinals.
The loss added to Brazil’s frustration at the home tournament following the disastrous 7-1 defeat to Germany.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- US Men’s Soccer Team Searching For Answers After Failing To Qualify For World Cup
- USA Back On Track For World Cup, Pulisic Leads Rout Of Panama
- If World Cup Returns To US, Miami Wants To Be Involved
- Swiss Prosecutors Confirm About 25 FIFA Investigations
- US To Play Panama In World Cup Qualifier In Orlando