BRASILIA, BRAZIL (AP) Robin van Persie and Daley Blind scored early goals to help give the Netherlands a 3-0 win over host Brazil in the third-place match at the World Cup on Saturday.
Van Persie converted a penalty kick three minutes into the match after Arjen Robben was brought down by Brazil captain Thiago Silva. Blind added to the lead in the 17th with a shot from near the penalty spot after defender David Luiz made a mistake while trying to clear a cross in front of the goal. Georginio Wijnaldum rounded off the win in injury time.
With the result, the Netherlands finishes a World Cup unbeaten in regular play for the first time. It lost to Argentina on penalties in the semifinals.
The loss added to Brazil’s frustration at the home tournament following the disastrous 7-1 defeat to Germany.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- US Could Open With Mexico In World Cup Qualifying Final Round
- U.S. Women’s Soccer Great Abby Wambach Calls It A Career
- Hurricanes Goalie Catalina Perez Confident After World Cup Experience
- Exclusive: U.S. Soccer Coach Jill Ellis Happy To Be Home In South Florida
- Women’s World Cup Victors Honored With Rally In Los Angeles