TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/AP) – Keys residents, starting next year, will go from seven to ten-digit dialing.
A plan was proved Thursday to implement a second area code to the chain of islands that stretch out from the southern tip of Florida.
The 786 area code, the Florida Public Service Commission decided, will be extended to the Keys because available 305 area code numbers will be exhausted next year. Both 786 and 305 are already used in Miami-Dade County.
Telephone customers will keep their existing numbers, but starting in April 2015 those in the Keys will have to start dialing the area code to make local calls. New numbers with 786 will begin being issued to Keys residents in June 2015.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2013 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Broward Circuit Judge Berates Female Inmate in Wheelchair
- Broward Sheriff Scott Israel To Face No-Confidence Vote
- Cypress Creek Could Undergo Bold Revitalization
- FAA Orders More Engine Inspections After Southwest Accident
- ‘Russians Were Trying To Interfere’: Sen. Marco Rubio On DNC Lawsuit Against Russia, WikiLeaks & Trump Campaign