MIAMI BEACH (CBSMiami) — Video released by the Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office Wednesday shows the shocking moment of impact from a deadly crash on the MacArthur Causeway in April.
Stopped at a red light, the man in a Chevy Suburban had no idea what was coming.
A sports car barreling westbound on the MacArthur Causeway slammed right into him, sending one car flying.
Police said a Lamborghini collided with the Suburban, killing one man and injuring two others.
The video was captured by a security camera on Miami Beach.
Click here to watch Lauren Pastrana’s report.
“The car lifted up into the air and a big cloud of smoke and dust and all that stuff, glass. I lost sight of the Lamborghini and the car was all messed up,” witness Adrian Valella said in an interview with police hours later.
“A Lamborghini drove by us really fast, and like 100, 120 miles an hour.”
Valella was in the car with two other friends who told police similar stories.
“All of a sudden, a Lamborghini comes on the left side going very, very fast. Easily over 100 miles per hour in our eyes,” witness Nikolas Obrenovic said.
Investigators said Andres Toro, 53, was driving the Lamborghini.
His passenger, Double Cross Vodka founder Dr. Malcom Lloyd, 42, did not survive the crash.
The man in the Suburban, Raul Alfonzo, 46, was badly hurt.
Days later, Alfonzo told police what he could remember.
“I got to a light. The light was red. I stopped, four, five, six seconds passed,” Alfonzo said. “Then I totally blacked out. I don’t remember anything until I woke up at the hospital.”
Toro has been charged with DUI manslaughter and vehicular homicide.
Toxicology results show his blood alcohol level was .173, more than twice the legal limit.
Previously released court records show Toro, Lloyd and an unidentified couple eating and drinking on April 23rd at Casa Tua on Miami Beach.
Receipts reveal the group bought five margaritas, four shots of vodka, nine beers and three shots of tequila that night.
Lloyd and Toro left the restaurant around 2:30 a.m. and went to the Versace Mansion.
Attorneys for the families of both Lloyd and Alfonzo have filed suit against Toro.
Toro has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
His trial is scheduled to start July 17th.
- Four People Hospitalized After Drag Racing Crash In Davie
- Woman Arrested After Slashing Trump Sign Because It “Ruined Her Chill”
- Boil Water Order Issued For Village Of Bal Harbour
- Police Continue Searching For Suspects In Boynton House Shooting
- Hialeah House Fire Sends Two Toddlers, One Adult To Hospital