MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Miami-Dade’s Animal Services Department is hitting the road to help make adoptions easier for people who can’t make it to their shelter.
On Wednesday they unveiled their first ever mobile pet adoption unit named the “Helping Our Pets Everyday” (HOPE) Express.
The 28 feet by 8 feet, air-conditioned HOPE Express features 24 animal compartments which can comfortably expand to 56 compartments. Awnings on both sides allow easy viewing of pets through a plexiglass wall. The colorful trailer was possible, in part, by a grant from the ASPCA.
“The Animal Services new HOPE Express is a great way to promote all the wonderful shelter pets available for adoption. We are excited about our new mobile adoption trailer and hope to use it to bring happiness to both the shelter pets and new pet owners,” said Miami-Dade Mayor Gimenez in a statement.
The department plans to use it to travel throughout Miami-Dade County to hold pet adoption events. The inaugural adoption event will be Wednesday, July 9th, at the Plaza on Beacon Shopping Center at 8695 NW 13 Terrace in Doral. The adoption event will run from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
The HOPE Express will offer the Animal Services’ July, Red White and Woof per adoption specials as follows:
- Red – 50 percent off adoption fees
- White – Waived adoption fees for cats over 4 months old.
- Blue (Woof) – Waived adoption fees for dogs over 35 lbs. or over 5-years old.
All pets adopted are spayed/neutered, dewormed, are given age appropriate vaccinations and microchip.
The county’s animal services department also plans to use the HOPE Express to transport pets to out-of-state partner organizations. Community pet adoptions events and pet relocations are an integral part of making Miami-Dade a No Kill community.
Every year the county’s Animal Services Department provides care for more than 27,000 unwanted dogs and cats.
- Four Arrested After Attempting West Palm Beach Home Break-In
- Consumer Confidence In Florida Sliding Downward Again
- Amendment 4 Would Make Solar Cheaper For Property Owners
- Hurricane Gaston Gains Strength, New Depression Forms Off U.S. Coast
- Florida Turnpike Reopens After Sinkholes Form Near Hard Rock Stadium