Jury Selection For Trial Of Suspended Miami Lakes Mayor Michael Pizzi
Get Breaking News First
MIAMI (CBSMiami) – Jury selection is scheduled to get underway Tuesday in the trial of suspended Miami Lakes Mayor Michael Pizzi.
Pizzi was arrested in August 2013 on public corruption charges. The outspoken two-term mayor is accused of accepting nearly $7,000 in cash kickbacks during a FBI sting.
Also snared in the sting were former Sweetwater Mayor Manny Marono and two lobbyists who have since pleaded guilty.
According to the their criminal complaints, the two mayors and two lobbyists accepted thousands of dollars in bribes in exchange for championing purported federal grant applications for their towns.
However, the men reportedly intended to line their pockets with the grant money, according to FBI affidavits filed with the complaints.
Pizzi, who has said that he did nothing wrong, has vowed to clear his name. It is unclear if he will take the stand during his trial.
- CBS4 Investigates: No Criminal Charges For A Death In Paradise
- Miami Fire Rescue Lieutenant Arrested For Solicitation Of Minor
- Four Arrested In Connection To Autistic Child’s Death
- Mother Of South Florida Journalist Held By ISIS Makes Plea To Leader
- Cristobal To Pass Northwest Of Bermuda Thursday Morning