LAUDERHILL (CBSMiami) – Fireworks wrappers littered the street Monday in a Lauderhill neighborhood, where 15-year-old Ryan Lue-Young was seriously injured in a fireworks accident Sunday night.
Fire rescue officials say the boy was holding an illegal firework when it exploded, causing him o lose several fingers on his right hand. Officials say the boy was playing a truth or dare game with other kids when the explosive went off in his hand.
“He had the firework in his hand and a boy lit it and his hand flew off,” said one neighborhood boy who witnessed the accident. “I was scared. I started praying,” the boy added.
Witnesses say the firework Ryan was holding was an illegal firework called an Onion. The powerful explosive is capable of causing extreme injuries even death.
The accident comes one week after Broward Fire Rescue officials and the State Fire Marshall’s Office held their annual demonstration showing the dangers of illegal fireworks. They blew up human dummies and watermelons and urged residents to attend professional fireworks shows rather than set off fireworks on their own.
“When it comes to fireworks its best to leave it to the professionals,” Broward Fire Rescue spokesman Mike Jachles said during the news conference.
Ryan’s grandfather said the boy was playing outside another home in the neighborhood when the accident occurred.
“I was home when someone called Ryan’s father to tell him what happened,” Raymond Lue-Young said. “When we saw him he was lying on the street covered up.”
Raymond Lue-Young said the illegal firework did not belong to the boy or anyone in the family. He believes the boy simply picked it up from the street.
Watch the report, click here.
- FIU Temporarily Suspends Greek Life Over ‘Growing Concerns’
- Good Samaritan Stops Would-be Burglar In His Tracks
- Police Search For Suspect After Young Boy Is Shot And Killed In Miami-Dade
- Exclusive: Rubio Votes Yes On Tax Plan But Says “We Have A Long Way To Go” On Economic Policy
- Coach Arrested In NY With Teen Booked Into Florida Jail