MIAMI (CBSMiami/AP) — A South Florida man is now on the federal health official’s list of most wanted fugitives.
Sandy De La Fe of Miami was indicted last year on charges of health care fraud and conspiracy to commit health care fraud. Investigators say De La Fe owned a Miami pharmacy and participated in a prescription drug fraud scheme that bilked Medicare out of millions of dollars.
According to the indictment, De La Fe’s co-conspirators paid patients to obtain prescriptions drugs. The false prescriptions, some of which were worth more than $1,000 a piece, were billed to Medicare Part D, even though the drugs were not medically necessary or not given to Medicare beneficiaries.
Authorities said Medicare paid roughly $2.8 million in false claims.
Investigators believe De La Fe may be hiding in Cuba.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Couple Says Atlantis Paradise Resort Let The Bedbugs Bite
- Zoo Miami’s Matriarch Gorilla ‘Josephine’ Passes Away
- Warehouse Near Airport Goes Up In Flames
- Mother, Infant Carjacked In Broad Daylight, Then Released
- All-Clear After Suspicious Substance Found At Broward Courthouse