SALVADOR, Brazil (AP) Belgium captain Vincent Kompany will start the World Cup match against the United States after struggling with a groin strain for several days.
Up front, Belgium coach Marc Wilmots has picked teenager Divock Origi to start as center forward in place of Romelu Lukaku, who disappointed in the two games he started.
The U.S. made two changes from its 1-0 loss to Germany. Geoff Cameron, who started the first two games in central defense, replaced Kyle Beckerman in defensive midfield. Alejandro Bedoya, who also started the opening two games, was back in right midfield in place of Brad Davis.
The winner will play Argentina in the quarterfinals on Saturday in Brasilia.
Belgium: Thibaut Courtois; Toby Alderweireld, Daniel Van Buyten, Vincent Kompany, Jan Vertonghen; Axel Witsel, Marouane Fellaini, Kevin De Bruyne, Dries Mertens; Divock Origi, Eden Hazard.
United States: Tim Howard; Fabian Johnson, Omar Gonzalez, Matt Besler, DaMarcus Beasley; Geoff Cameron, Jermaine Jones, Alejandro Bedoya, Michael Bradley, Graham Zusi; Clint Dempsey.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Heat Players Optimistic About Opportunities New Season Presents
- Belief Never Waivers As Dolphins Keep Finding Ways To Win Close Games
- Miami’s Langham, Badgley Receive Weekly ACC Honors After Win Over Georgia Tech
- Miami-North Carolina Announced For A Noon Kickoff October 28th
- 2017-18 NBA Season Preview – Eastern Conference